Discuss Home Internet network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevyn

-
Reaction score
I have an Internet modem which has my main computer plugged into it. It is in the extension. I want to be able to use the Internet at the opposite end of the house at the other phone point which has the sky plugged in to it. What will I need to do this?

Firstly the phone point won't help, unless you add another internet connection which would require a new line.

Lots of choices for that. If you have a spare port on the router part of your modem then you can run an extension lead (not the best option).

You could have (or enable if you have it) a wireless access point.

You could utilise one of the many home-plug type ethernet points. These use the wiring in your house as a network (80M or 200M speed).

I think my preference would be for the latter.

Can't use just use Wi-Fi?? and a wi-fi dongle if the PC doesn't have Wi-Fi built in.

If Not TQ's idea of home ethernet ports is probably the best other way. Unless you want to start sticking in cat 5 / 6.... Or Token Ring....... That takes me back.... Just Ignore me!!

I'd tend to want to run a CAT5 from the current router/modem to the other end of the house and put a small hub at that end,

More than ever it's worth thinking about having a "central" area in the home for connected kit - just looking around here, for example, three TVS, all ethernet - Blueray, Sky HD, laptop (wifi unless heavy file shifting then port), desktop, NAS, another laptop, printer, planned bluray in bedroom, poss second HD Sky box - linux media server, DVR for CCTV, test ports for kit coming in and testing, = around the house that's 14 ports, not counting Wifi accessed devices, such as 4 smart phones, another printer, IPod, IPad, folk coming over with their phones, ipads/pods and so on - it isn't uncommon for upward of 30 network devices in this house.

For that reason - I made a qualified decision to install a 24 port managed (PoE) switch in the loft, run the CAT5's and put proper network plates in for the devices, plus for quality, I have the Wifi on the main router - which is connected to a repeater downstairs - for signal strength mostly - we have a lot of wifi networks locally. Not the cheapest way to do it, but I can guarantee maximum possible bandwidth at any point in the house - until the broadband dies, that is......

Wired ports are gigabit all the way (essential now if streaming Hi Def media - and you have other overhead on the network too)....

Use a wireless router, connect your modem into the modem port, your PC into one of the accessory ports, and conect the remote computer using WiFi, either by dongle, or PCI card.

I have tried using the wireless as my modem has this function. Is there anyway to boost the signal as I cant recieve it where I want it?

Reply to Home Internet network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net