Discuss Home Made Powder Coat Oven query? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi gents,
I'm making a powder coating oven and I need some advise on power. I have an old smoker oven element that is plug in but 120v and i don't want to have to buy a transformer. Is there anything on the market like the pic below that will be as easy to install and plug in direct with 230v mains?
Thanks!
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 1.35.25 PM.png

try a search for oven /grill elements. find one that the same wattage rating as the 120V one, but @ 240V. is the other thing a temperature sensor? if so see if it's rated up to or above 240V.

Hi, I can't find one online. Im not sure if I'm searching for the correct item/specification. Anybody have one in mind?

you could always buy a site transformer.110V. then can also use for 110V power tools.

SDTR750SLASH1X.JPG

I think it unlikely you'll find a kit of all the parts you'll need, but you should be able to source the various items from on-line parts suppliers.

Google "oven element spares" for example and you should get a big list of places that will want to sell you one. Do the same for "oven thermostat spares" for a thermostat.

Try searching for brewing heating elements or catering kettle elements with plug, some of them may be suitable.

Try searching for brewing heating elements or catering kettle elements with plug, some of them may be suitable.

This may be a stupid question but would a brewing/kettle element not burn out if not submerged in water? Will it work in an oven? This may be the way to go if appropriate!

This may be a stupid question but would a brewing/kettle element not burn out if not submerged in water? Will it work in an oven? This may be the way to go if appropriate!
You are probably right they tend to have thermal cutouts to stop overheating, I was only thinking of plug in types and not applications, sorry.

What temperature do you bake it at?
Can't you canabalise an old oven for the bits?

Reply to Home Made Powder Coat Oven query? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net