Discuss Home Network Question & Master Socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JohnM1066

Hi
Currently having some work done. We wanted to have the router upstairs. and then have 2 cables going to other rooms from that point. My basic understanding was it would be :

1 wire from Master to Bedroom 1. (Where another master would be put in)
1 wires from Bedroom 1 to Bedroom 2
1 wire from bedroom 1 to bedroom 3

(With a dual gang rj45 plate in bedroom 1, leading to 2x single rj45 plates in bedroom 2&3)

Router in bedroom one

The electrician somewhat confirmed that & left BT cat5e cable with the builder to wire through those areas.

The builder put all 3 wires coming out of one socket, which i questioned. The electrican was intending to put a master in & then drill holes in the bottom for the cables to come out.

I said, no and am making him put in another 1 gang hole. I want a connection plate, but they are saying i need a brush plate and to pull the cables out.

First question is, will haveing the plate connection slow down the line? so it will be one cable from router to wall, then wall cable, then another cable other end to pc. so 3 cables. I know more connections could cause issues, but i thought if the electrician does a good job then it wouldnt matter?

i asked if having the plate would slow down the network speed & if so by how much. Im not concerned too much about network transfer, its mainly internet that i want to run stable & 100%.

i was told :

"The cables coming out through the plug plate plug direct into the router. So the plates in the other rooms are recieving signal direct from router so there will be no loss of speed.

If all the cables were connected inside the plate you would need a router in each room. WHich would not be the way to go as they all give off wireless signals and would interfere with each other"

Now i am assuming hes just talking about wiring them all up to the one plate, which i dont want anyway.

So i guess after this long post my question before is the main one. will router > Cable > wall cable > Cable > PC slow down the connection. Or if its done right it shouldnt matter?

Thanks!

The quick answer to your final question is, if it is a wired network... NO. They are talking absolute garbage! I've been involved in networking for many years and in business premises, it's usually Network Switch -> Patch Cable -> Patch Panel -> Fixed Installation Cable -> Outlet -> Patch Cable -> PC.

You might get degradation in performance if the cables spend along time running parallel in close proximity to mains cabling, but no, the connection points won't slow it down.

Before I comment further, just to clarify....

Your master telephone socket is currently downstairs. Do you have an Inifity service with the special Infinity master socket?

You want the router in bedroom 1... and then a network outlet in bedrooms 2 and 3 connected to the router. Are you going to be connecting wirelessly to the router in bedroom 1 or do you want a network outlet in there as well?

Hi thanks for the reply.

We have fibre and the plate i think is the followign though not 100% as not in house:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT...56025&sr=8-6&keywords=master+socket+faceplate

correct master is currently downstairs.

correct, router bedroom 1 with ability to connect room 2 & 3 to router by cable. Bedroom 1 will be connected direct to router. i want the option for non-wireless in bedroom 1-3.

hes extending the master to bedroom 1, so router connects to the 2nd master socket. and then 2 RJ45 wall connections which go to bedroom 2 & 3 is what i want not a brush plate.

not 100% if i answered everything lol.

As Sparkychick says, a connection plate won't slow the signal down. Take a look at any office network system - they all use outlets and patch cables. This allows for the cable to be unplugged and changed if it is either damaged or a longer/shorter one is required.

Daz

also just to confirm 100% having router > Cable> Plate > Cable > Plate > Cable > PC

should be absolutely fine and not slow anything down

also just to confirm 100% having router > Cable> Plate > Cable > Plate > Cable > PC

should be absolutely fine and not slow anything down

Will be fine.

I would only use a brush plate for things like coax cables (where any connection will result in a few dB of loss) and possibly HDMI/video cables.

Daz

There is a reason I asked about the type and location of sockets, specifically master sockets.

A telephone line is supposed to have one master socket. You can then have secondary or slave sockets connected as extensions. But, if you are on an Inifity service, the master socket will have two outlets on the faceplate. A standard telephone socket and an RJ11 (smaller RJ45) which is supposed to connect to the router or Inifity modem. This is not a standard networking cable, so this may be where they are suggesting brush plates.

You can't have Inifity (or at least not that I'm aware) without one of these sockets, and it's not as simple as extending the phone line and then using the old ADSL microfilters to connect your router. Ideally, if you want to maximise your broadband speed you shouldn't have any extensions as they can introduce noise onto the line which will affect the broadband signalling.

From what you've said in the OP, it's this part of it that would cause me the most concern in terms of performance.

As Daz has said, there should be no problem or loss of performance on the networking side of things. Here at home, I have this arrangment:-

Inifity Socket -> Belkin Router Cable -> Infinity Modem -> Patch Cable -> Gateway PC -> Patch Cable -> Core Network Switch -> Patch Cable -> Patch Panel -> Fixed Cabling -> Outlet Plate -> Patch Cable -> Local Network Switch -> Patch Cable -> Desktop PC

And even with all of that, I get what BT said I would in terms of upload and download speed at my desktop machine.

As long as you use good quality cable and connections, you should be able to achieve an end to end connection of over 100m without a loss of performance using Cat 5 (or better).

As far as i can see they are saying brush plate is for the 2 x rj45 that are not related to the master socket & just connect to other rooms. All the cables they have run so far are BT cat5e. From what he says it looks like hes creating a secondary master socket in bedroom 1.

also another side note, the RJ45 plates. Are they all the same or if im using cat 5e, do i need to use one that says cat5e. I got this one :http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p16362?table=no

but there is no mention of cat5e etc and i didnt think it would be a issue till after i got it.

For the most part Cat 5 and Cat 5e cables are identical if you're equipment is 100Mbit, and I suspect, on short runs you'd be able to run 1000Mbit down either of them without a hitch. The connectors themselves seem to be nearly identical regardless of what 'Cat X' value they have attached to them until you start talking about more expensive shielded sockets and such like.

I suspect, but can't guarantee, those faceplates will be fine.

With the newer vDSL / ADSL filters it is possible to have a vDSL extension for the modem / router from the master socket .
I wire the vDSL connection to an RJ11 socket where the modem / router is to be located using the RJ11 avoids telephones or data cables being plugged into it and it designates it use.
Telephone extensions will generally not cause broadband interference as long as only terminals 2 & 5 are connected. The broadband interference is caused by having the bell wire connection on terminal 3 connected which with modern equipment is not needed nowadays

With the newer vDSL / ADSL filters it is possible to have a vDSL extension for the modem / router from the master socket .
I wire the vDSL connection to an RJ11 socket where the modem / router is to be located using the RJ11 avoids telephones or data cables being plugged into it and it designates it use.
Telephone extensions will generally not cause broadband interference as long as only terminals 2 & 5 are connected. The broadband interference is caused by having the bell wire connection on terminal 3 connected which with modern equipment is not needed nowadays

Good advice on the vDSL extensions, thanks :)

The extensions side of things, I'm only going on what I've been advised time and time again when I've complained about performance to BT and other service providers. Disconnect extensions you don't need.

The "extensions" that I've found to be most problematic are those fitted by the Sky installers for their Sky boxes some of levels of interference caused have dropped the broadband speed to virtually nothing

My brother works for BT and regularly talks to one of senior tech engineers who travels all over the country troubleshooting telephone and broadband interference issues and some of the causes of major interference are household appliances on one occasion a set of christmas lights on one house was causing problems for everyone on the local cabling so it is not just the phone cabling that causes problems

Reply to Home Network Question & Master Socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock