Discuss home network requirements in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyphil1

hi can any one give me a rough list on what i would need to run a home network in a 3 bed house which im currently about to move into so need to future proof it ie for good signal for smart tvs , wifi , xbox ,etc , the area i am moving to is not a fibre optic area and prob wont be for years blackmore in essex, i will prob still be with bt , but unsure of what gear i would need to run from router to patch etc cables will be run under floors and in walls in plastic conduit.

thanks for you time

cheers for that extensive list lol, joking aside what do i run off the router to what and then to a patch panel seen some vids on you tube but they are all in great big american house made out of matchsticks so routes are very easy ?

stick a patch panel as close as you can in the middle of the house.run all cables to that. as Tel said, cat 5e will do.stay away from running them near power cables and stick to less than 100m runs (shouldn't be an issue there) to futute proof, only you will know how far you want/ need to go. as a rule I'd say 1 Ethernet wall plate behind each TV.possibly 1 at side of bed.

Don't forget to run Cat5 from where you expect the router to be to where you plan to have the patch panel too. I've just rewired our pad and where we plan to have a TV there are 2 TV/SAT cables, 1 x Cat5 and 1 x BT. Hope this helps

I would run a minimum of 2 Cat5e copper cables (not the CCA crap) to each point from a patch panel so you have some future expansion if access for adding extra cables will be a problem.
If you are putting conduits to wall points it may be worth putting 2 in it is easy to get under floors and over ceilings but it can be hard to justify damaging wall and any decoration just to add a cable, while installing conduits it is also worth looking at cable routes between floors and the roof space and putting in conduits if needed. Conduit is cheap to install and can save a lot of time effort and money as future technology evolves

And while you are doing that don't forget your TV and sat cables

I would run a minimum of 2 Cat5e copper cables (not the CCA crap) to each point from a patch panel so you have some future expansion if access for adding extra cables will be a problem.
If you are putting conduits to wall points it may be worth putting 2 in it is easy to get under floors and over ceilings but it can be hard to justify damaging wall and any decoration just to add a cable, while installing conduits it is also worth looking at cable routes between floors and the roof space and putting in conduits if needed. Conduit is cheap to install and can save a lot of time effort and money as future technology evolves

And while you are doing that don't forget your TV and sat cables

Don't bother with 20mm either go for 25mm

As UNG said AVOID CCA at all costs,it's very brittle and can suffer damage during install in even the most experienced hands,it may be half the price of copper but it gives you a lot more headaches,avoid kinking the cable and don't bash it with hammers,it doesn't like either.

I ran 2 cables to each point however behind the TV in the front room, 2 is not enough unless you add another switch... TV, YouView Box, Playstation, Xbox... That's 4 already!

Think ahead, Fridges even have an ethernet port these days!

Think about where you can stick your wireless router out of the way, then extend your phone socket to that point. Get yourself some CAT5e or CAT6 and run away from the router point.

Do a search and you will come across a picture of my setup. Also get a gigabit switch (Netgear GS116) is what I would recommend. I have an FS116 and only get approx 10mb transfer speeds. With a Gigabit switch you are looking at transfer speeds of around 50mb.

Edit - I also have a Netgear Readynas 102 (RAID 1) attached to my network and it is absolutely fantastic! Well worth the money.

Reply to home network requirements in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net