Discuss Home network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Megavolt

Hi All

I have never done or touched anything to do with home networking or office networking so I am pretty clueless. I am in the middle of doing an extension in my house and I am putting a new TV in I am wondering if now is the time to get involved with it.

My existing setup in my house is 1 sky box, 1 Xbox that are connected to my router both wirelessly. 5 years ago when I rewired my house I put 2 coax and 2 cat 5 cables in every room wiring them back into the loft but never got round to doing anything with it. I am hoping I can put a patch panel up there.

In the new extension I will be having a smart tv, sky box, new Xbox, sonos sound system and apple tv. Can anyone please advise the best way to set this system up and any additional components that I would need also what are people's thoughts on networking as all this can also be done wirelessly.

Thanks

As you have already done, always bring cables back to one accessible point...the controllers switch gear, can be upgraded or added later.
Again with sonos, 2 twin cables are required for each room (ie two speakers per room) and if taken back to central point again, amps can be configured.

Flood the place with cat5 wired is always better then wireless. I just fitted some HD anywhere hdmi extenders that send your sky tv over 1 cat5 and even have the ir units built in. It gives you full HD rather than the normal analogue.

The connections are pretty simple as all the outlets have the colour coding on the back and even the crimp ends are explained on the web.

Flood the place with cat5 wired is always better then wireless. I just fitted some HD anywhere hdmi extenders that send your sky tv over 1 cat5 and even have the ir units built in. It gives you full HD rather than the normal analogue.

The connections are pretty simple as all the outlets have the colour coding on the back and even the crimp ends are explained on the web.
cat6 over 5 would future proof it.

same rj45 connection for both

Reply to Home network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net