Discuss Honeywell/ADE Optima Compact Gen4 panel - Issue with LCD RKP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Help please from any Honeywell Alarm guru's out there - I have an installed Optima Gen4 panel (8EP396A-UK, about 18 months working no issues). To make things a little easier for access, I have just added a LCD remote keypad (8EP417A) and this has no LCD display. This is in fact the 2nd one in as many days, as I exchanged the first because I believed it must have been faulty....silly me!
I have power, System Set/Unset LED's lit and, sound for entry/exit etc but, no LCD and nothing operable from the keypad. The System Set/Unset Led doesn't change when stutus is changed on the panel.
The system was powered off prior to running and connecting the 6 core for this and, connected as per the Instructions. All wiring checked for continuity and no 'shorting' between cores.
No battery connected at this stage and panel has been powered down/up several times and once, even to do a reset to Factory settings.
As said, I got the keypad changed out, I even re-ran the 6 core and checked connections. After all this, I even got a new panel and changed the PCB - still the same problem. Have I missed anything else that should be so bleedin obvious?? Any help would be appreciated....Thanks in advance.

does it need a resistor fitting or removing in the keypad?

The main panel might need set somehow to accept control from a remote keypad.
By removing or adding a component as suggested by Tel.
By removing or adding a jumper pin connector.
By going through the main panel engineers menu (if it has one)

I'm not an expert, and these answers are by imagination only

An LCD display without an LCD??? thats an interesting oxymoron if ever i saw one!!

If you add a lcd display keypad in, is this in lieu of the original keypad or in addition to?

Have you if using 2 pads ensured the wires are joined at termination on the panel? I have done a G4 panel with 2 keypads but you have to make sure you got the same wires tight together when terminating, some panels only allow one keypad but i have not had an issue install 2 identical keypads. but also check the voltage requirements for the lcd display?

Hi, thanks for the responses. This is an additional item compatible with the panel (which is keypad and LED only).
Connections according to installation instructions are pretty straightforward, 6 cores between panel connection block (specific for RKP) and, the LCD RKP -
+13v
0v
Sound
Comms
Tamp

Connections/Colours have been checked and rechecked many times. There is no mention of requirement for resistor in circuit.

Hope this helps further.

check fuse F4 in the panel. you may have blown it. and the keypad should be connected with the panel powered down. then power up, mains first, then battery.

Thanks Telectrix. Indeed install was carried out without power, then powered up with no battery at this stage. The 1 amp fuse at F4 is ok, and there is power indication at the RKP.

Thank you for that Bob. I have just one Remote Keypad additional to the main panel keypad & there are no jumpers in circuitry. This panel has the ability to have 4 remote's installed. Nothing in install instructions to determine particular keypad selection or addressing. If, more than one RKP is added, they would have 'series' wiring, but that's all I can see. But thanks anyway.

Reply to Honeywell/ADE Optima Compact Gen4 panel - Issue with LCD RKP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net