• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hoping a Sparky can help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i have just tried to install a bathoom fan with light xpelair with light 93087AW

Xpelair | SSISFC Simply Silent Illumi Shower Fan Complete | 93087AW - https://www.xpelair.co.uk/product/93087AW/SSISFC-Simply-Silent-Illumi--Shower-Fan-Complete

I am replacing old fan run from a light switch and has a seperate isolator switch.

3 core cable. It says live, neutral and T to connect switch live. Same as old fan.

But doing this it only works and stays on when isolator switch on both fan and light. Switch on lights now does nothing. Isolator turns both off.

Tried swapping live and switched live but then nothing works.

Any ideas please? My bathroom is a dangling mess.

Thanks in advance if you can help :)

Old wiring attached

Hoping a Sparky can help 757063EE-A9A2-4B78-B4BC-84EEB0E0436A - EletriciansForums.net

Hoping a Sparky can help 3998E742-241A-4A13-ABCF-798C19620F26 - EletriciansForums.net
Forgot the new wiring and manual. I tryed swaping sl and L round and it does now turn on and off with switch but the timer is not working as it turns off fan straight away.

Any help so appreciated :)

Hoping a Sparky can help 7CD383B5-9937-4397-9029-ADD61BDE110B - EletriciansForums.net

I notice in your first picture the yellow has a red sleeve on it, yet in the last picture the red sleeve is missing. This sleeve identifies a live conductor.

At a guess you've got your live, switched live and neutrals swapped around.

An electrician could have this rectified in a few minutes.

Thanks for replying.

I have tried both and neither works. Following the instructions means no switch just isolator. Swapping live and sl means switch works but not the timer. It’s very odd. Will call Xpellair.

The photo is a testing of unit. The sleeve has fallen off.

Xpelair will say in their literature, An Electrician must fit this. You might invalidate your house insurance if the fan catches fire. Is it fused to 3a? Again probably recommended by manufacturer. I think you should call an electrician.

Xpelair will say in their literature, An Electrician must fit this. You might invalidate your house insurance if the fan catches fire. Is it fused to 3a? Again probably recommended by manufacturer. I think you should call an electrician.

Do you mean on the fuse box? I simply took the old one out. Then took the 3 cable of Live, SL and Neutral and wired as instructions say, tested new unit before fitting and this is what happened.

I have read that this has been a problem on another thread?

Someone mentions it on amazon too
With the utmost respect,you do know,what Xpellair are going to tell you...:)

Check the installation instructions. Fusing would be at a FCU supplying the fan. The problem I have alluded to is regards an electrician who fitted a fan but did not do as the instructions advised. The fan caught fire and the electrician went to the gallows (figuratively speaking) If you are fitting a new fan you must comply with current requirements. They do seem to say that if the connection is more than 2.5 metres long... And in fact they recommend a 5a fuse so that clears that one up.

Hi - fusing with the small fuse as per @Vortigern post 16 is manufacturer's recommendation for protection against fire. It won't make the fan work if it's wired incorrectly, or busted. Reality is you probably need test equipment to see what's happening. Please be careful with those wires !

Do you mean on the fuse box? I simply took the old one out. Then took the 3 cable of Live, SL and Neutral and wired as instructions say, tested new unit before fitting and this is what happened.

I have read that this has been a problem on another thread?
Hi - fusing with the small fuse as per @Vortigern post 16 is manufacturer's recommendation for protection against fire. It won't make the fan work if it's wired incorrectly, or busted. Reality is you probably need test equipment to see what's happening. Please be careful with those wires !

I have tested it with my multi meter. Switched live is switching but still not working. I have just cut and re- stripped them :)

Reply to Hoping a Sparky can help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back