Discuss Horstmann teleswitch connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hi guys
Not had much experience in connecting to these meters, the setup originally was they had obviously a live and neutral on the outgoing side of the meter to Henley blocks, then outgoing to consumer unit. There was then a single black connected in no9 on the teleswitch which connected into the neutral Henley block, can anyone give me a bit of advice how these meters work and what connections are needed. There are no storage heaters in the property presently but the customer wants to go down that route if it’s possible.

That is a telemeter that is different from the usual teleswitch. They are not much more than a normal meter but with an extra switched connection for the off peak. Why has all the output wiring been removed?

There was a fire at the property and completely destroyed all wiring and consumer unit. it was removed by another contractor, not sure why but a picture was taken off the connections beforehand and the switch connection was connected to the neutral, no evidence of a switched live connection or either an additional neutral to an off peak board.

They are just wired Lin Nin Nout Lout in the usual way, the extra offset terminal is E7Lout. Not that it matters, as only the supplier or DNO are allowed to reconnect the meter.

Nice one Freddo, I just wasn’t sure weather I had to get a set of meter tails in for an off peak board when first fixing as there was no evidence of them before that’s all.

The teleswitch has a terminal that connects a cable to another on a 2 rate Meyer. This is a switched neutral that changes the metro dials from low rate to normal rate. Usually a 2.5 or 4m cable used.

I'm new to the forum and couldn't see a way to post a new thread so tagging on here. Hope that's ok.

I'm trying to find out what's involved in replacing a Horstmann Radio Telemeter Series K (type K220G13) electricity meter with either a smart meter or an Economy 7 meter. I'm not an electrician, so thanks for any help you can give.

My parents have the above meter on a 3-rate (day, night & control) Scottish Power ComfortPlus White Meter tariff and want to change supplier. They have a storage meters set-up (charged on control rate) and hot water immersion heater (charged on night rate). There is only 1 physical meter but there are 2 MPANs.

Ignoring tariffs for the moment, what I'm being told is they can switch to another supplier without issue using their existing meter but because they have 2 MPANs they would be charged 2 standing charges. The second standing charge would continue to apply unless the second MPAN can be de-energized, which could potentially be done at the installation of a new smart meter or E7 meter.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds correct and whether it's possible to tell from the photo attachments whether this de-energization is possible? Cabling from the meter looks to be 3 brown live wires, 2 grey live wires and 2 blue neutral wires.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

IMG_20190218_160016.jpg

IMG_20190218_162758.jpg

IMG_20190314_140127.jpg

Reply to Horstmann teleswitch connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net