Discuss Hortsmann economy 7 quartz not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MrsMcN

-
Reaction score
good morning

I have the above hot water heating in my Flat and it suddenly stopped working
I bought a new box on recommendation from my
Plumber who has fitted it but still doesn’t give me timed hot water as before only on boost

I have read on here some suggestions
The one is that my electricity meter was changed around the same time it stopped working
Does this cause a problem
How can I get it to work on timed as before

Can anyone advice please

Thank you

Carol

from memory they are designed to have two supplies and immersions connected. if only using one supply there needs to be a link installed. if there are two immersions it could be that one has failed. if the plumber is suitably qualified for electrical work get them back to check or get an electrician in to check the supplies and elements

The economy quartz has one feed with two element connections so economy 7 switches the lower element if timed correctly. Maybe check with the supplier that you’re still on the tarif as it may have been confused during the meter change!

The economy quartz has one feed with two element connections so economy 7 switches the lower element if timed correctly. Maybe check with the supplier that you’re still on the tarif as it may have been confused during the meter change!

That’s what I’m hoping and that’s what I was wondering
So thank you for confirming that
Will get into them and see

I suppose you could confirm whether 2x elements are both cabled into the Horstmann E7 box ?....if they are...
You could turn the clock dial around to 2 or 3 in the morning and make sure the water heater switch is on "timed"... the off peak element should work.
Maybe both elements are wired up on peak only...maybe, as mentioned above, you now don't have E7....can you press a button on the meter and toggle between 2x tarrifs/rates ?

If there is only 1 feed it’ll be on the 24/7 supply so e7 is irrelevant imho
One supply to property but economy 7 tariff gives cheap electricity overnight. One feed in to Horstman. There is an output to the booster (top) element which is on demand only, but the controller switches the lower element on during economy 7 hours to give full tank of hot water in morning. If boost works but overnight does not, most likely the thermostat in lower element needs changing, or the lower immersion heater requires changing if the element has failed. I do a lot of these in Social Housing.

NOTE: if the clock is set wrong, then there will still be a full tank of water each day, but not heated correctly overnight.

Unless the meter swap is where the programming and granting of economy 7 is! I don’t know the answer to this one perhaps one of our meter changing brothers or sisters could confirm how ‘Smart’ is ‘Smart’!
Which is precisely what I meant ..... so the meter swap would be irrelevant

Unless the meter swap is where the programming and granting of economy 7 is! I don’t know the answer to this one perhaps one of our meter changing brothers or sisters could confirm how ‘Smart’ is ‘Smart’!

Disagree 100%

There is a single 24/7 supply to this model and it controls the output to the single or dual immersion’s.

The meter change is not relevant.

It could simply be that the op hasn’t selected the correct options on the new controller.

But when the element is actuated under the time switch at the right time of the night the leccy will be at economy 7 rates but if the supplier has it wrong and has cancelled the service - “DING” that’s the sound of me getting it!
(yes, the element should still work, I get it - thanks Murdoch)
Element needs testing - Peace, OUT!

Maybe the OP should take his two probe Electrical test device and confirm that there is power to the input to the device. Then advise if there is output to the immersion’s at the expected time.

Reply to Hortsmann economy 7 quartz not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net