Discuss Hot Fuse in water heater spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mk1rob

Hi guys

Just been to a job where they had a 2.75-3kW under sink water heater on a plug and socket. The live in the plug had melted. I changed this arrangement for a switched fused spur treating it as if it was a standard immersion heater making sure all connections are tight as i thought this was probably the problem in the first place..

Its a 16A radial in 2.5mm twin & earth with 1.5mm flex from the spur to the heater. Circuit is approx. 3m long.

Ive switched the spur on and let the water heat up and switch off via the thermostat and noticed the fuse in the S/F/spur is still getting hot.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Cheap FCU's dont help.....as the voltage is nearer 240 normally you shouldnt really have any problems with an FCU as long as it's a quality one,but as above,a 20a DP may be a better option.

This is 2.75kW @ 220V and 3kw @240V approx, so 12.5A max.

however, why would you put a 16a radial on a sw fuse spur with a 13A fuse?

As said, 20A DP SW.

I would use a 13a spur for 3kw, surely most sparks would too?

If its wrong why do they sell 3kw appliances with plug tops?

Not sure about regulation, but in OSG it says, any fixed load above 2kW should be on its own circuit. I think the key word here is SHOULD not MUST, thats why it is open for interpretation.

We used to call fcu's spurs because that is what they were. In this instance you have a radial so use 20A D/P switch with neon indicator.

Reply to Hot Fuse in water heater spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have taken delivery of an undersink water heater. It is fitted with an RCD on the electrical supply cable which terminates with a euro-plug. I...
Replies
Views
I'm looking at a vending hot drinks machine 2.9kW that has a thermostatically controlled hot water tank permanently attached to a water supply...
Replies
Views
Hi, I know it's best practice to run an immersion on a dedicated circuit but am I OK with the following A new heat pump is being fitted and it...
Replies
Views
Ok i may get slated for this one but here goes; A bit of background info first. Its been a while since ive looked at my iee regs, and ive not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock