Discuss hot fuse issue in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

grizzlys

Hi just joined the forum, was hoping to get some advice on my old camper van, it's been running fine for years but noticed peculiar smell driving back one night. So checked all the switches this morning and noticed the main fuse is getting hot when I turn the headlamps on, have CHECKED all the light fittings, connections and bulbs all look fine any ideas please.

Firstly I'd warn you not to upsize the fuse, it's likely to damage the wiring harness and possibly start a fire.

There's several possible causes of the fuse getting hot such as corrosion, bad wiring termination contact, extra things have been connected to that circuit causing an overload or maybe a wiring fault. To find the problem you're going to need a DC ammeter, do you have one?

Last edited:
Firstly I'd warn you not to upsize the fuse, it's likely to damage the wiring harness and possibly start a fire.

There's several possible causes of the fuse getting hot such as corrosion, bad wiring termination contact, extra things have been connected to that circuit causing an overload or maybe a wiring fault. To find the problem you're going to need a DC ammeter, do you have one?

Thank you ..... yes wont upsize I will check all again today yes got an ammeter I know it is the lighting circuit just trying to find where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again, think I have found the culprit after going through every wire and connection in the light circuit looks to have been the main wire between the fuse and light switch.

Hi dude,i have a few customers with older VW's,and corrosion on the end caps of the glass type fuses,or more accurately,the caps and the holder tangs,can cause increased resistance and therefore heat.

This can cause smells,which are easily masked,by a van full of hipster surf folk :wink_smile:

Reply to hot fuse issue in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock