Discuss hot topic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

"Example: An electrical contractor supplies light fittings in a domestic dwelling, which has a manufacturer’s warranty. If the fittings are defective, the contractor may still be responsible for any remedy, even if that manufacturer’s warranty has expired.

Whilst a practical response would be to direct the customer back to the manufacturer, legally this may not always be an appropriate course of action."

Hum ......... if the manufacturers warranty has expired, so has mine.

Simples.

"Example: An electrical contractor supplies light fittings in a domestic dwelling, which has a manufacturer’s warranty. If the fittings are defective, the contractor may still be responsible for any remedy, even if that manufacturer’s warranty has expired.

Whilst a practical response would be to direct the customer back to the manufacturer, legally this may not always be an appropriate course of action."

Hum ......... if the manufacturers warranty has expired, so has mine.

Simples.
Unfortunately the law is not on your side

The consumers rights act of 79 amended in 2015 to include the online era has always protected the consumer beyond warranty date, I got a washing machine replaced for free at about 3yrs even though it was only warranted for 1yr.
It is not as straight forward as a swap that occurs in warranty as I have to provide independent evidence that the product has failed far below its expected lifespan and that this failure is due to product defect etc and not abuse or incorrect use.
I also did it with Comet who sold my mother a laptop and the hard drive failed on 28months, I got her her £300 repair bill back from them as they conveniently provided the independent evidence of premature parts failure for us themselves and had no legal position to challenge us.

Potentially 6 years if your with CPS

When I read this before, it doesn't mean you have to provide a warranty for 6 years for your products or services, it means the consumer has a right to have this length of time in which to make a claim, if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product or service.

This is very much a trade discussion and I figured it might be better out of public view. Everyone who's posted in the thread is an Arms member so hope you don't mind Lurch, I've relocated this to the Arms.

If you feel it's better in the public forums just let me know and I'll move it back.

Not sure why you would want to hide this from public view. What ate your reasons?
I'd imagine you'll get more people participating if it's private and probably opinions that are true rather than ones stated with it in mind that customers are viewing.

As I said I'll happily relocate it back if you prefer.

Comfortable in the Arms. I think Joe Public has more than enough ammunition for pot shots without further learned advice on where to aim from us.

It appears to me that "we" don' want to advertise the fact that under a cps scheme we have a responsibiliy for 6 years. I for one can hold my head high and not hideaway in a pub!

I think we are all getting carried away by 2 separate fields of consumer cover here, the manufactures warranty is stated on sale and will be honoured by the seller or installer, yet you can claim against a premature failure of a product past its warranty date but you need to first go through the normal channels IE who installed it or sold you it and when they pass on responsibility then you need to go to an independent who can show it is a failure of the product before its life expectancy ( the part you need to challenge), your consumers right act of 2015 covers this with the original company of the product and the installer or seller only is responsible for the warranty period.
Like I said before it can be a long winded process but knowing this can set the record straight with a disgruntled customer.

Reply to hot topic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock