Discuss hot tub in garage (diversity) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
house supply 100A tns 32A mcb feeding garage(10mm swa buried ) 100A board.. currently with lights on 6A and sockets on 20A ....customer wants massive hottub installed in garage ....problem is manual says requires 2 x 32 A supply for tub ........any suggestions ?

Do you have a picture? 2 x 32amp might mean L&N conductors to the unit.

If it is only 32amp, upgrade the MCB size to the garage ( if possible, assessing conditions )

Then you can run the original stuff + Hottub

2 x 32amp might mean L&N conductors to the unit.????

It's hard to tell what is actually being said in the instructions. 2 separate cables or 2 separates cores? Are you an electrician?
I wouldn't imagine the thing needs 2 x 32amp supply. It's only a couple of pumps and a heating element.

If it does need 2x32a supplies then they'll have to cough for a bigger sub to the garage or get a smaller hot tub that fits with the present supply. There's no alternatives.

I have come across a hot tub with 2 supplies needed, was in garden of a scrap metal dealer who fancied himself as a bit of a local celeb living the big life. It needed 2 cables, cant remember what rating MCB but each cable did different things, one supply cable was the heating system and the other did pumps, sound and lights... the hot tub was like a mini swimming pool and could take several large adults or in his case young ladies charging by the hour! only learned this as he wanted sockets down by his BBQ area and had to work out why the hot tub had two supplies in the consumer unit for outdoors as it confused me and then boss no ends. I still do not see point of underwater speakers!

Just a thought on the op's post is that the hot tub could be a foreign model thats been imported as a lot of the US models are designed for multiple wires and often have 2 lives one neutral and one earth, its less likely on Uk models unless very large with separate spa/hot tub compartments within the hot tub as in my example.

Last edited:
Yep,that preliminary spec,sounds very American,and can usually be translated back in to our reference language,and a decision made.

.........hot tub could be a foreign model thats been imported as a lot of the US models are designed for multiple wires and often have 2 lives one neutral and one earth, its less likely on Uk models unless very large with separate spa/hot tub compartments within the hot tub as in my example.
USA alleged 240 gear - only insulated to 120v !

Inverted 120V phases (or similar, whatever correct terms are)
120-0-120 where 0 = Neutral

£13K plus an enormous electricity bill - must have some cash your customer.

Reply to hot tub in garage (diversity) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net