Discuss Hot tub installation ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

devonsparky

This is a follow up to a thread I started yesterday.

I have been working all day installing a hot tub situated outside on a patio slabbed deck.

Contrary to what I was told, it was TN-C-S supply so here is how I have wired it.

• From Henly blocks - 25mm tails to a one way board (Main Sw RCCB - 50A MCB)

• 10mm 3 core SWA from board to 63A rotary isolator and from rotary isolator to hot tub

• Earth rod with 10mm G/Y back to one way board and then used one core as an earth to the hot tub and connected the armour to the earth bar too.

Time beat me today so I have not connected into the Henly blocks yet and tested .......................... Is this how you guys would have done it. 10 years in the game and an approved electrician and it's still nice to get feedback off of this forum !! ha ha

I've got one of these to do this week, same tncs I'm also fitting a earth rod but was going to fit it near the tub, I thought closer to tub the better cus less potential difference within the earth? Or have I just made myself look really stupid?

I've got one of these to do this week, same tncs I'm also fitting a earth rod but was going to fit it near the tub, I thought closer to tub the better cus less potential difference within the earth? Or have I just made myself look really stupid?

nope , youre right.
i would have fitted the earth rod within 2-3 metres of hot tub with earth cable connected to rotary switch.

Buff. Still ok to put rcd near original board isn't it? Don't have to be with the rotory isolator where I've split the earth? Also, 3rd core of swa and swa with be took back to met in house db.

My earth rod is in the only suitable position ............... it is roughly 4-5 metres away from the tub.

Ideally within 2-3 but surely this is good enough. My head is ready to explode !! I'm a pretty experienced electrician but this install has had me researching the regs/guidance notes/forums etc to make sure it is all done correctly. Looking forward to getting it tested and certified and getting out of there. ha ha

How can these 4-8 week courses make someone a Part P sparky when even the most expereiced sparks are always learning !!

My 3rd core and swa is all connected to my earth rod. The whole hot tub installation is therefore on TT.

Who's Buff ?
;-)
rcd can be at the mains or local to hot hub if using swa , either is ok.
yes , connect swa and earth conductor together at the CU.

The whole hot tub installation is therefore on TT.

no its not , all you've done is connect your earth rod conductor back to the MET of a TNCS supply , which doesnt achieve that much.
the earth rod cable should be connected to the end of the circuit at the rotary switch for the biggest benefits.

The earth rod cable goes back to the MET of the one way fuseboard I have installed specifically for the hot tub. Surely this makes this fuseboard TT as its L + N comes off of the Henly blocks.

ah , didnt realise you werent taking an earth from the MET for the one way CU , my bad.
what was your earth rod loop reading out of interest ?

ha ha ................... No worries Biff55 !

I haven't finished the job yet so still have to put my one way fuseboard up yet ................ therefore I haven't done any testing yet.

I'm thinking if the earth loop reading needs to come down I can still stick another rod in from the rotary isolator.

I will post the readings if you are interested once I finish the job.

(Is it just me who feels like they are bordering on the side of electrical geek by spending the evening in this forum ?? lol)

Okay, going to stick my neck out here....

why haven't you used the perfectly good earthing system provided (TNCS) and ... exported it?

bayonet fixed

I've started to spend a lot if time on here, nice to get other peoples view on stuff, as there's no one to chat about stuff when your out there. Not just make sure your not breaking the regs it's just nice to see how others would do things.

OMG ....... SPARTYKUS ...................... don't go down that route of questioning !!!! It's been answered a million times on these forums !!
This is the whole basis of this thread really .................. Can't export PME so have to make a TT.

Case closed ha ha

I'm not being belligerent or devils advocate, also apologize if Inhave missed something in a previous thread / related thread. I have never installed a hot tub so am
not up to speed on specific regs (if any).

Hence my question.

Unless there's a specific reason, why can't you export it?

Reply to Hot tub installation ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock