Discuss Hot Tub Isolator switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pat H

-
Reaction score
Hot tub in a garden next to a wooden summer house.
I need to add an isolator.
Ideally it would go on the side of the summer house as the CU is just inside but that puts it closer than 2M of hot tub (isolator is IP65)
The next option is inside the summer house but I'm less keen on that as the summer house could be locked up so the isolator inaccessible.
I'm thinking I could install the isolator inside the under tub equipment space which is closed off with a door. AM I correct that like a bathroom as long as its inaccessible its ok to be within the 2M?

The CU feeds the Summer house so the main isolator would kill all that. Using the breaker only gives me single pole isolation.
Also the CU is in the locked summer house so access isn't ensured.
Ideally I'd prefer to have the waterproof isolator switch externally accessible but can't see an easy way to do that and be outside 2M from tub.

Mixing high current feeds water and naked people. What could possibly go wrong...

Why not put the isolator outside on the other side of the summer house, and as a precaution put another one inside, so immediate isolation can occur without the need of a access key?

Mixing high current feeds water and naked people. What could possibly go wrong...
Have a butchers below, sure its been mentioned before. I would suggest, that as the hot tub is in the garden, i.e. not within a building, it falls within section 702.

two sides of the summer house aren't easily accessible. So I have the side or the front. The isolators too ugly to plonk on the front.

Put a nice little wooden box around it.

That's a good idea. I could put a nice little lock on it and hang the key in the summer house :)

However to comply with "visible and accessible" I'd have to stick a sticker on to show what's inside the wooden box.

I note from the regs:

section 702 of the regs if I treat as a swiming pool states its permitted to install a switch or socket outlet in zone 2 of the swimming pool as long as its protected by a 30mA RCD*. Or if not possible to locate elsewhere within zone 1 but at least 1.25m from the border of zone one and at least 1 foot above floor, as long as its 30mA rcd protected*

It will be 30mA RCD protected s I could look at mounting it at the upper limit of switch height and I may just get 1.25m away from the hot tub edge.

I'll check measurements.

To stop the kids turning it off.
Then those 'Swingers' will just have to put their cossie's back on, and get out & turn the thing on again. Can't you put some Pampas grass in front of the isolator so you cant see it?

Then those 'Swingers' will just have to put their cossie's back on, and get out & turn the thing on again. Can't you put some Pampas grass in front of the isolator so you cant see it?
Then I'd fall foul of it being visible...

Mount the switch then at high level as you have said, out of the kids reach. Otherwise you would have to unlock the summer house anyway to get the key for the wooden box.

I would put the isolator on the inside of the summer house next to the CU, the purpose is to be able to isolate but not being able to do so whilst swinging in the hot tub, so as long as it is out of reach I am of the opinion that you comply. Shall we now discuss the virtues of exporting PME vs TT?;-)

The hot tub isn't in the summer house its to one side.

Reply to Hot Tub Isolator switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock