Discuss Hot tub query for installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been asked before:
But does a hot tub for outdoor use fall under section 702? (7671).
I cannot find a reference specifically to a hot tub but a pool is close.
And a second question why is there no real reference to SWA cable. When calculating travel distance is it the same as pvc/pvc.

Can you please clarify? not sure what you mean by travel distance? Volt Drop?

Domestic electrical supplies to hot tubs - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/63/hot-tubs/index.cfm
What I mean is for instance table 7.1 will give you the max cabl length dependant on amp rating and Zs. This is for flat pvc/pvc.
Is SWA the same. It's just there is no reference and I was wondering if it is taken as the same.

The voltage drop and resistance is inversely proportional to copper area of the cable, so 4mm t&e will be same as 4mm swa if the conductor temp is the same. The current rating depends on the ability of the cable to get rid of heat, and that varies with installation method and the detail of the cable design itself. Hope that helps.

funny, we just installed a hot tub here at home. it has 2 cables feeding it, both factory fitted with BS1363 plugs. 1 is for the external control unit inc pump. the other is for the heater and comes with a 10mA RCD integral with the cable. as an additional safeguard both plugs are fed by a IP55 RCD twin socket outlet which itself is on a dedicated non-RCD circuit for garage, including 3 large freezers.

Your having a chuckle, next your been telling us you putting some pampas grass in the front garden :eek:
nah. straight up.missus, her dorter, grandkids have all used it. me not yet. hate being wet. bad enough having a bath every xmas.

The voltage drop and resistance is inversely proportional to copper area of the cable, so 4mm t&e will be same as 4mm swa if the conductor temp is the same. The current rating depends on the ability of the cable to get rid of heat, and that varies with installation method and the detail of the cable design itself. Hope that helps.
It does help yes. Just one more question though i believe ref method D is for below ground, are there any calculations or differences to take into consideration?

funny, we just installed a hot tub here at home. it has 2 cables feeding it, both factory fitted with BS1363 plugs. 1 is for the external control unit inc pump. the other is for the heater and comes with a 10mA RCD integral with the cable. as an additional safeguard both plugs are fed by a IP55 RCD twin socket outlet which itself is on a dedicated non-RCD circuit for garage, including 3 large freezers.
The hot tub is fitted with a Commando so i would install a rotary switch with commando socket outside. Now is it classified under pools and fountains and what distances will i need to be away. As the tub ony has about 1.5m of cable.

The idea is to put any electrical items well away from folks in the water, which a metre or so probably wouldn't be. I think control switches etc need to be outside zone 1 which is 2m from the water. Or on the other side of a 2.5m high wall. I'm getting that from reg 702.410.3.4.3 part (ii) but please read it yourself and see what you think.

More experienced folks here may chip in :)

The idea is to put any electrical items well away from folks in the water, which a metre or so probably wouldn't be. I think control switches etc need to be outside zone 1 which is 2m from the water. Or on the other side of a 2.5m high wall. I'm getting that from reg 702.410.3.4.3 part (ii) but please read it yourself and see what you think.

More experienced folks here may chip in :)
I did think that, but wondered why the tub only comes with 1.5m of cable attached. 1.5m away does not seem alot.

Reply to Hot tub query for installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net