Discuss hot tub supply in domestic dwelling 32A, 100A supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

ian w j

Help Needed !!
The wife has just purchased a hot tub off eBay! I am a spark but not a bright one!! I was just looking into what's required for the supply and they are stating 8-10kw load 32-40amp supply. To an an isolator and have Rcd protection.. yeah ok so far. I know about the zones regarding position of isolator and other equipment as per the regs, but I am stressing about the demand and diversity of the installation. I'm going to do the work and get a friend to pass it off and certify.

Currently I have a 100amp single phase domestic supply.

The dis board has:
2 x 32a rings
1 x 32a radial cooker supply with single socket(cooker is 13a socket)
3 x 6a radial light
1 x 6a smoke
1 x 6a water(no immersion heater)

I've done a diversity calc not taking into account the smoke and the heating time clock and come up with 103amps using a 32 amp supply to the hot tub.
My supply is 100amps !! Is this right??

Thanks for your constructive advice! And it will, as all the work is being done under a building notice with the local Building Control!
Constructive answers please!

Firstly 100amp is the DNO carrier rating, it may have a lower rated fuse in it.

If your holding the title of Electrician then basic domestic diversity should be well within your knowledge and if you need a reminder check your OSG for a reminder.... If you claim to be an Electrician then state your not too bright then its just a matter of time you put yourself or someones life at risk or property for that matter.... I seriously hope it was a jovial comment and not an admit!

PS Welcome to the forum ... emoticons help a lot when expressing sarcasm, comedy anger etc and saves us misinterpreting your post ;)

No problem.

Ok then. If you show me how you got to that staggeringly wrong diversity calculation. I'll tell you where you've gone wrong and how to get it right.

How's that?

Cooker 10 A plus 30% plus 5amp for socket
32amp full load of hot tub.
Help is much appreciated

SORRY HALFTHE POST MISSING!
What is was supposed to say was :
1st 32amp 100%
2nd 32amp 40%
light 6amp 66 %
light 6 amp 66%
light 6 amp 66%
cooker 10a plus 30% plus 5amp
32amp full load of hot tub

Just to confirm I am an Electrician but the knowledge learnt about domestic is all in the back of the grey matter! I have worked for the last 10 years on pumping stations and control panels so dont really get to use diversity and demand of circuits as they are designed and never really changed! They normally have 3 phase star delta controls with a small dis board which supplies 1 light, 1 rcd socket and a small tube heater.
If you are ever stuck with these I may be able to help!!!:stooge_curly:

whats your cooker rated at ?

You can diversify diversity, you just need to look at a few things closely, like lighting, is it incandescent or fluorescent ect ....

Last edited:
Its run off a 6mm radial B32 , to a socket outlet 13A/cooker switch to a socket outlet behind the cooker. Could I change this for a B16, as the wall the socket is on is going to be knocked down, so only need a supply for the cooker. Sorry to confuse the matter!:pirate:

And there is always the fact that whilst your using the hot tub , it is highly unlikely that your cooker and hob will be on whilst all your lights are switched on and all plug sockets in the house will be under load .......

Its run off a 6mm radial B32 , to a socket outlet 13A/cooker switch to a socket outlet behind the cooker. Could I change this for a B16, as the wall the socket is on is going to be knocked down, so only need a supply for the cooker. Sorry to confuse the matter!:pirate:

That's a different story all together mate, if you want to supply your cooker on an independent circuit of its own youll need you current design current and then choose a protective device with a suitable rated current ect ect ect ....

So what your saying is your cooker isn't on its own circuit but on a radial socket circuit ?

Confusing myself now! It's on its own circuit, it is a radial, to a cooker control unit which incorporates a single socket. The feed from the cooker control goes behind the cooker into a 13amp socket outlet not a cooker connec tion point. (the cooker is on a plug top, as per when it was built in 2002. Hope this is a bit clearer!

Thanks for that, it may help! Plus all the energy efficient lighting in the house, considering they were designed with 100watt per lamp holder.

Reply to hot tub supply in domestic dwelling 32A, 100A supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock