Discuss Hot Water Cylinder Installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sanke

Hi all
Just a quick question. Following the installation of a replacement hot water cylinder in a tenanted property. The tenant is demanding an Electrical Installation Certificate a Periodic Inspection Report & an entry on the Electrical Equipment Register So wanted to know if the members would have issued those documents ??

Hi all
Just a quick question. Following the installation of a replacement hot water cylinder in a tenanted property. The tenant is demanding an Electrical Installation Certificate a Periodic Inspection Report & an entry on the Electrical Equipment Register So wanted to know if the members would have issued those documents ??

What has the Landlord asked for?

Hi Murdoch
The landlord is looking to clarify what he should have received upon install & what would have been advisory.

The tenant can demand whatever they like until they are blue in the face!
It is the landlords property not theirs!

If they have an electrical equipment register then yes it will need updating to reflect the change.

Other than that an MWC at most for each circuit worked on.

The tenant can demand whatever they like until they are blue in the face!
It is the landlords property not theirs!

If they have an electrical equipment register then yes it will need updating to reflect the change.

Other than that an MWC at most for each circuit worked on.

Thanks guys. We did not do the install or replacement. Just been asked the question so wanted to confirm my thoughts

The question that needs to be asked is does the hot water cylinder have an immersion heater in it because if it doesn't I can't think of any reason to issue a MWC or any other electrical cert for plumbing works

Thanks guys. We did not do the install or replacement. Just been asked the question so wanted to confirm my thoughts

What exactly is your involvement in this situation?

We assumed that you were the electrician carrying out the electrical work!
This is after all an electricians forum so it's a natural assumption

What exactly is your involvement in this situation?

We assumed that you were the electrician carrying out the electrical work!
This is after all an electricians forum so it's a natural assumption

Our involvement has been purely advisory at request of landlord. These are cylinders with two immersions & usually installed by a plumber disconnecting the cable then reconnecting to new cylinder. In order to comply with regs I would say that plumber must be a member of a scheme to certify or get cables connected by electrician /member

Our involvement has been purely advisory at request of landlord. These are cylinders with two immersions & usually installed by a plumber disconnecting the cable then reconnecting to new cylinder. In order to comply with regs I would say that plumber must be a member of a scheme to certify or get cables connected by electrician /member

Wot a load of tosh.

But who are you? Are you an electrician?

There is no regulation which requires anyone to be registered with anyone to connect an immersion heater.

As it stands I would say there is no need to issue any certificate for connecting a flex to an appliance.

In earlier posts it was stated a MWC was needed So are you saying that you can issue this without being a scheme member ?

In earlier posts it was stated a MWC was needed So are you saying that you can issue this without being a scheme member ?

I don't think anyone said it was needed!

I do very few MWC's for small jobs like this - scheme member or not, they can get stuffed on such stupidity!

Yes it was stated, but by someone else not by me. Everyone's opinion is going to vary slightly as they interpret the regulations differently.

Of course you can issue an MWC without being a scheme member.
Scheme membership is entirely optional and there is no obligation to join one for anything.

Now please answer the question as to whether you are an electrician or not and what your involvement in this is?

Hi davesparks
As I have said, I have been asked the question & wanted to verify my answer before going back to landlord. If it makes any difference I have electrical qualifications but am not an electrician. When required my company provides electrical services using qualified sub contractors

Hi davesparks
As I have said, I have been asked the question & wanted to verify my answer before going back to landlord. If it makes any difference I have electrical qualifications but am not an electrician. When required my company provides electrical services using qualified sub contractors

So you are a commercial enterprise using this site to get free advice from qualified professionals to then sell on to a third party?

You won't get a definitive answer here as you will have noticed, just everyone's own interpretation of the rules.

For the type of certificate required, if any, then read the relevant section of bs7671.

For the truth about scheme membership read part P of the building regulations which is freely available online

Reply to Hot Water Cylinder Installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net