Discuss Hot water thermostat problem in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nick.harris1985

We have what I'm guessing would be considered a 3 zone heating system:
Zone 1 - downstairs radiators
Zone 2 - upstairs radiators
Zone 3 - hot water cylinder

We have programmable wireless thermostats for zones 1 and 2 (1 each), a timer for the hot water and also a wireless thermostat for the hot water.
A control box links all of this together and all is Danfoss.
I can post model numbers of each component if needs be.

My problem is that the hot water thermostat seems to do nothing at all. If it's set low e.g. 30 degrees it'll still reach a temp much higher than that. So it seems like the hot water is purely controlled by the timer.
I'd like it to take into account the thermostat setting as well as work with the timer. E.g. The timer turns on and the demand for hot water is turned off when the temperature setting is reached.
the receiver for the thermostat is working fine as the red light is showing when the temp is lower than the setting.

i'm guessing it's just a wiring problem.

any help much appreciated!

Nick

We have what I'm guessing would be considered a 3 zone heating system:
Zone 1 - downstairs radiators
Zone 2 - upstairs radiators
Zone 3 - hot water cylinder

We have programmable wireless thermostats for zones 1 and 2 (1 each), a timer for the hot water and also a wireless thermostat for the hot water.
A control box links all of this together and all is Danfoss.
I can post model numbers of each component if needs be.

My problem is that the hot water thermostat seems to do nothing at all. If it's set low e.g. 30 degrees it'll still reach a temp much higher than that. So it seems like the hot water is purely controlled by the timer.
I'd like it to take into account the thermostat setting as well as work with the timer. E.g. The timer turns on and the demand for hot water is turned off when the temperature setting is reached.
the receiver for the thermostat is working fine as the red light is showing when the temp is lower than the setting.

i'm guessing it's just a wiring problem.

any help much appreciated!

Nick

Welcome aboard Nick:welcome:

Why are you using a timer for the water heater?

If it's never worked properly, then maybe a wiring error.

Might be the zone valve for the hot water passing flow when 'off'. Does the pipe from the relevant zone valve to the hot water cylinder become hot when either of the heating zones is on and the hot water timer is off?

Maybe best to employ someone who understands both the plumbing side and the electrical to test the system and pinpoint the fault.

Does the pipe from the relevant zone valve to the hot water cylinder become hot when either of the heating zones is on and the hot water timer is off?

hi HandySparks,

no, the valve works fine with the timer, opening and closing according to the programmed on/off times.
i've contacted plumbers who say it's a sparkys job and i've contacted sparkys who say it's a plumbers job - so i'm trying here now :eek:)

would some pics and/or diagrams help do you think?

If the receiver is responding to the cylinder thermostat it should either be a fault with the internal switching of the receiver, a valve fault or a wiring fault.

If the valve operates with the timer, the fault is with the receiver or the way it is wired.

Have you changed the batteries in the cylinder stat and tried to re-pair it with the receiver?

There's no need to go looking for serious faults in the installation until you've ruled out the simple 30second checks.

Reply to Hot water thermostat problem in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock