Discuss House Extension & Building Regs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We're in the process of having a house extension being built, no new circuits will be provided, on 1 existing ring main 3 extra sockets will be provided, on another existing ring 4 extra sockets & on the existing downstairs lighting 3 extra lights & switches.

I'm in disagreement with the building inspector, as although no new circuits are being provided it isn't notifiable work, yet he is still insisting that paperwork is provided for it & effectively threatening that his boss may not sign the build off if it's not provided.

Is he right, can he do this?

all you need to do is give cert/s to him. as long as LABC recognise that you( or another electrician doing the work) is competent. scam membership or give them a copy of quals. does this.

Thank you for your reply, I did my PartP about 10 years ago, will have to see if I still have my papers as I no longer work in the industry.

usually, a copy of 2382 (17th ) will keep them sweet. but anything else on top is better.

Even if the work is not notifiable,it still needs to comply with the requirements of part P,that would mean as per Iee regs certification of whatever type is applicable and needs to be produced.
You will presumably be altering the routing of the cables and this needs to comply

He may be satisfied with your competence or he may ask for a 3rd party to give that confirmation,either way its not in your best interest to have conflict with the inspector

agree with des. your BI will want whatever certificates relate to the various jobs. in your case, it may not be notifiable, but copies of MWC/s should be given to him.

The paperwork he will be needing is 1 minor works certificate per modified circuit ....... Or you won't get a completion certificate.

Didn't the building control letter outline this?

Really, you don't have a letter. From building confirming that you can go ahead ?
Yes, the beginning was a bit of a total farce, one guy drew up the plans & was submitting the work under his company. It became very apparent even before ground was broken that he didn't have a clue, the plans were a joke, wrong sizes, wrong specification of trusses, windows etc. Even the inspector wondered if Stevie Wonder had drawn them, but they were happy for the building to continue as I replaced him with another couple of guys I know. But all the paperwork went direct to the first guy, whom I want as little to do with as possible, apart from the final sign off docs.

Yes, the beginning was a bit of a total farce, one guy drew up the plans & was submitting the work under his company. It became very apparent even before ground was broken that he didn't have a clue, the plans were a joke, wrong sizes, wrong specification of trusses, windows etc. Even the inspector wondered if Stevie Wonder had drawn them, but they were happy for the building to continue as I replaced him with another couple of guys I know. But all the paperwork went direct to the first guy, whom I want as little to do with as possible, apart from the final sign off docs.

I had a similar situation many years ago. My builders were respected by building control, however I still had to resubmit plans to BC for approval, even though the extension had already been started. Have you spoken to your BC?

Reply to House Extension & Building Regs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net