Discuss House lighting/power problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im wondering if you guys can give me some advice.

We moved into a new house a month ago and have noticed the lights/power to the house is dropping by around 10v most evenings, but particularly weekends. This came to my attention as the lights dim for a few seconds before returning to normal. When it happens the regularity is generally pretty constant, i.e lights dim for 3 secs, back up for 30. This tends to happen from around 7pm onwards.

Ive turned all the breakers of in the consumer box, then measured the feed coming in, results are 243v, dropping to 234v . Are we talking a a drugs farm close by ????;)

I don't have any close neighbours really, its fairly rural. Ive had power network out to check the pole and he said all was well. But it was tested during the day while i was out, and as I say, fault only occurs in the evenings/night.

If you are measuring on the incoming point, and getting a voltage variation like that then it will be something to do with the supply itself.
What sort of supply do you have? If it is overhead wires and you live in the back woods then this can happen.
If your cable is underground then you need to contact your DNO. There may be an underground cable fault.

Who is your DNO? Who is my Network Operator? - http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
Hi,

Yes overhead to the property, then sub to the meter, we are pretty rural yes. Is it worth getting the meter swapped/checked ?

Hi,

Yes overhead to the property, then sub to the meter, we are pretty rural yes. Is it worth getting the meter swapped/checked ?

No it is not !
What you need to do is check the voltage at your main meter during these brown outs,
if its low at the main meter ? then the problem lies upstream from there !
What part or parts of the incoming supply lines are you responsible for ?.
Sounds like that particular local grid is running out of power,
could be due to a loose / bad joint somewhere.
But you need to find the problem area if you are to fix it,
could be a poco issue or your responsibility.
POCO = POwer COmpany.

It's perfectly normal in rural areas for voltage fluctuations to occur at peak times, especially in winter when a lot of electric heaters are being used.

234V is within the allowed tolerance for the UK

Check for voltage at the cut out at the time it happens.

Isolate the house at the consumer unit (flick the main switch) and check at the main switch at the incommer side. If you get normal reading 240 or so then the problem lies in the house, if not call DNO and let them to investigate.

Don't think that is suitable advice for the OP. He is not an electrician, so should not be opening up a CU, even with it isolated.

As davesparks said, 234v is within an acceptable range. BS7671 Appendix 2 section 14, gives the current permitted voltage range of 216.2 - 253.0 V.

OP I sometimes notice flickering of my lights in my house (and no, its not my dodgy wiring chaps!), I do not have an overhead supply. But it very rarely happens, and is probably a momentary issue with the supply. If you google 'power supply flickering lights', you see there are some possible issues with power supplies and LED lighting, if that's what you have.

If its a regular problem, you should have an electrician inspect your installation, and ask your supplier to monitor your supply. Something they or the DNO can do at your property, I'm led to believe.

Don't think that is suitable advice for the OP. He is not an electrician, so should not be opening up a CU, even with it isolated.

As davesparks said, 234v is within an acceptable range. BS7671 Appendix 2 section 14, gives the current permitted voltage range of 216.2 - 253.0 V.

OP I sometimes notice flickering of my lights in my house (and no, its not my dodgy wiring chaps!), I do not have an overhead supply. But it very rarely happens, and is probably a momentary issue with the supply. If you google 'power supply flickering lights', you see there are some possible issues with power supplies and LED lighting, if that's what you have.

If its a regular problem, you should have an electrician inspect your installation, and ask your supplier to monitor your supply. Something they or the DNO can do at your property, I'm led to believe.
Not your dodgy wiring, who you trying to kid:)

Check for voltage at the cut out at the time it happens.

Isolate the house at the consumer unit (flick the main switch) and check at the main switch at the incommer side. If you get normal reading 240 or so then the problem lies in the house, if not call DNO and let them to investigate.

Hi, as i said ive already done this, turned the consumer box off and measured the supply coming in, get a drop off around 10v. its not really been noticeable over the xmas period, but has, over the last couple of days, returned....the joys off living in the sticks !!!

Reply to House lighting/power problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net