Discuss House rewire and compliance certification question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mattressback

-
DIY
Reaction score
hi, asking as a customer not a tradesman

Having had a rewire and had some issues with the electrician , namely his working standards and the fact the job took twice as long as estimated. I paid a third up front before work started, he then coerced a not agreed upon second payment out of me a little later and now the electrician is now demanding the final third of the invoice before he will provide me with any certification .

Because there is an element of mistrust I’m worried he may take the remainder of the money and then I will be left chasing him forever after for the certificates. I’ve suggested he bring them and I transfer the money there and then in front of him but he has refused this offer and is insisting on final payment first.

Is this standard practice?

hi, asking as a customer not a tradesman

Having had a rewire and had some issues with the electrician , namely his working standards and the fact the job took twice as long as estimated. I paid a third up front before work started, he then coerced a not agreed upon second payment out of me a little later and now the electrician is now demanding the final third of the invoice before he will provide me with any certification .

Because there is an element of mistrust I’m worried he may take the remainder of the money and then I will be left chasing him forever after for the certificates. I’ve suggested he bring them and I transfer the money there and then in front of him but he has refused this offer and is insisting on final payment first.

Is this standard practice?
Jobs not complete until the relevant certification has been submitted, he is trying it on, Make the bloke wait until you get the cert, and then seek advice as to the content of the cert from a competent Electrician, if you distrust him that much, far to much of this carp going on by dishonest tradespeople, and I use the tradesman title losely.

I have had this out with a customer when completed the job for them
and them not paying on full bill ,he does not need to give you the cert and till Moines are paid in full, but how ever he must register the job within the 30days. until you pay him .

What is wrong with his working standards and why has it taken longer is he charging you if it took longer than he said has he come across unforeseen problems?
It is a good idea to have stage payments in arrear
Communication is always key between both parties if need be a formal contract/agreement in writing.
The final payment should be made when all certification has been issued or proof that notification has been done. As Pete's reply refers.
Is he a member of a self-certification scheme i.e NICEIC, Stroma, NAPIT etc, however, they will not get involved with financial disputes.

and them not paying on full bill ,he does not need to give you the cert and till Moines are paid in full, but how ever he must register the job within the 30days. until you pay him .
The customer has contracted by written or verbal you to install an installation in compliance with BS7671 that includes Chapter 63 631.1BYB.

The customer has contracted by written or verbal you to install an installation in compliance with BS7671 that includes Chapter 63 631.1BYB.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt .
rang me scam ,answer for them ,has long you have register the work with in the 30days that fine ,you do not need to give him the test certs
if you are taken them to court .or disputing a bill.

You have not given me the electrical certificate I am not paying you.
You have not paid me I am not giving you the certificate.
I am taking you to the small claims court
compliance to BS7671 will probably be referred to and I don't think your scheme will back you up.

some customers try and get away with out paying ,I have one now .
Do you think that by not issuing the electrical installation certificate is going to make them pay I can see it could if they need it for a house sale etc. An EICR is something different. For what reason have they given to not pay?

Do you think that by not issuing the electrical installation certificate is going to make them pay I can see it could if they need it for a house sale etc. An EICR is something different. For what reason have they given to not pay?
a fault I had to be sorted out after a clown by passed the one of the RCDs .and a consumer unit gone in a few years ago,any way that another story Pinocchio.:D

hi Thanks for all the replies, it’s sure turned into a heated debate. The main reason the job took longer was he simply has a very slow rate of work, he didn’t complete one single room until the very last day, I suspect he went to other jobs during the day as often there was very little progress made Day to day. He was very lacking in dust sheeting anything and has damaged some of my furniture to which he’s asked for proof of purchase to pass on to his insurer, the problem is the furniture is more than a decade old and of course I don’t have receipts for it. He intimidated me into the second payment, threatened me with court if I didn’t give him it despite his quote clearly stating only the initial payment to be made and the remainder upon completion and those are the reasons we are at this lack of trust.

Tho why he doesn’t trust me to pay I don’t know, I’ve paid everything he’s asked to date. I can only believe it’s because I’ve been a little critical of his progress during the process

Nah, one was a light fitting that he was supposed to remove but I’d asked him to keep , he trashed it in a bin beyond recovery the other was a sideboard at bottom of stairs he broke the lower shelf on it

Was the job not undertaken on a fixed price, brave of you to agree to a day rate. What was the cost, number of days estimated and taken and size of house?

Think the best way forward for getting paid on time would be to, ex[lain in your quote when payment is due, say 50% at end of first fix, the rest on completion, and allow the client to hold back 10% of the cost for a period of say 1 month for any faults or mistakes, all within the 30 day period

Whenever I submitted my invoice's, the appropriate certification & notification had already been submitted to my client. I did so because of the advice given here on this forum by members (as it is in this thread).

However, I cannot find anything in BS7671 which states such documentation has to be provided, before payment. Not surprising really, as BS7671 is about requirements for electrical regulations, not good business practise.

Reg 631.1 Upon completion of the verification of a new installation...…, an EIC.…. shall be provided. So define completion?

Those who have bought & sold houses recently, could explain that you can't have your keys for the new house, until the solicitors have received the various monies.

I purchased a new build property, but never received the documentation, until well after moving in (in fact it had to go back, as it hadn't been signed).

I would say it is good practise to provided certification before receiving payment, but there is no requirement to do so.

Reply to House rewire and compliance certification question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock