Discuss House rewired - find cables were run just under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lewis123

Hello,

A few years ago I had my house rewired and received a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate from the installer. I've recently had to raise some floorboards and now see that the installer in many cases ran cables through notches in the joists and these cables are not protected from nails that might be hammered through the floorboards. I believe this is against wiring regulations. Also some cables run in notches side-by-side with hot central heating pipes which doesn't seem safe to me. I have only just discovered this and I haven't yet contacted the installer. Can anyone advise me about the sort of remedial work I should be asking for?

Thanks,

Lewis

Speak to the installer first, I for one will not past the stones for you to sling.

We are here as tradesmen, and as such should not pass judgement on the word of a novice.

notches only allowed if 3mm thick steel safe plates fitted over cables.

The cables should be protected by metal plates which will fit over the notches this will cover the protection of the cables in the notches, the notches may have been there from previous installation work.
As for running next to the hot pipes are they plastic or copper? Its a bit of a no no for me running next to hot pipes as i have seen them burn't through common sense should prevail on these faults.

Also I thought a notch in the joist in the centre of a floorboard was ok? I drill joists so its not generally an issue, but was under the impression the centre of the floorboard was ok, and seen heating pipes a plenty put in this way.

The cables should be protected by metal plates which will fit over the notches this will cover the protection of the cables in the notches, the notches may have been there from previous installation work.
As for running next to the hot pipes are they plastic or copper? Its a bit of a no no for me running next to hot pipes as i have seen them burn't through common sense should prevail on these faults.
With regards to this, it depends what was in first. Had a job in the middle of last year and the plumber had his pipes all over my cables, despite my stuff being in weeks before. Took a lot of effort to get him to move his pipes, I doubt its an isolated case though!

well there such a thing as mutual determental influences as well.....to be found on a schedule of inspections....

Yeah this is true as you say i have seen pipe installed afterwards and well plumbers don't give a t**s do they, its good practice to cover notches with plates i have myself been pulled up by my NICEIC inspector on this exact thing, even though they were in the centre of boards?

Plumbers have no respect for cables whatsoever in my experience. I had a right go at one the other week who's genius had decided to fit a pump so close to an SWA that the (hot) brass locking nut was squashing into the insulation!

But back to the OP - don't be too quick to jump to conclusions - you may well find that there was good reason for reusing old notches. I've found joists before where the plumber (of course) has put notches in them so deep that the structural integrity was probably 10% of what it should be, so in that case you don't want to go making any more. As others have said - talk to your installer first.

Last edited:
Where did this idea of notches "in the centre of the floorboard" come from??
Cables passing through a joist must be 50mm from the surface or protected from penetration by the use of a plate, as others have said, be in earthed steel conduit or have an earthed metallic covering.

many years ago, before my time, even, cables were singles, run it wooden channel, notched into the joints. the wood channelling would be installed by a carpenter ( now known as wood butchers), so he would know where not to nail. at the time, the only form of central heating was an overcoat, so no problems with plumbers either.

Thanks for useful replies. To answer one, the rewiring was done about six years ago. And to answer an earlier one, I'm not looking for ammunition, I'm just trying to get an idea of what it's reasonable to expect which is why I asked this forum before taking the matter up with the installer.

Lewis

Reply to House rewired - find cables were run just under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net