Discuss House Rewiring Compliance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think it was cheap - £3500.

Can i also ask about the mains wires touching the central heating pipes - is this ok or should they be clipped away from the pipes or can the pipes have insulation around them? If it is a problem is this something the electrician or central heating installers should do? Many thanks
all depends who was there first. if the cables were installed first, then the plumber should keep his pipes away ( min 25mm). if the pipes were there first, then it's up to the electrician to maintain separation.

Agree with others but should be simple fixes for the electrician, put a few clips in that cable running over the noggin, fit round dry linning box for the smoke alarms (the surface boxes look a bit naff) and put some lagging around the pipe were the cables are in close proximity , just a bit of basic snagging that should of been done at the time of the rewire

Thank you for all your advice. I will ask about getting a round dry lining box for the smoke alarm in the picture. The other smoke alarms have a box taped around the connections (please see image attached) is this sufficient? The box doesn't seem to close properly hence the tape. I'm not sure what the boxes around the connections are needed for so was worried that if one of the reasons for the box is to prevent fire spread having the box slightly open would defeat the point....

boxalarm.jpg

Hi Jo: Good pictures.
When was the house re-wired ?.
If you've recently paid for a re-wire, I'd love to hear your Electricians explanation for Re-using old cable.

Love the Blue tape and the way the cable sheath doesn't enter the box.

Apologies Jo: Forget what I said said about old cable, just viewed the picture on my daughter's laptop & the cable shows up as Brown / Black as it should do. It's modern 3 core, guess it's time to send this tablet back :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just all a bit lazy. Lack of pride in your work and 'if things can't be seen then they don't matter'.
If the OP can take photos of the things she feels to be wrong then it dictates the possible standard of the rest of the install.
Very most probably safe but with a lack of good standard.
If the installer ever sees this, know that we are not impressed and as mother would say 'buck up your ideas'

Just insist that the so called "sparks" replace the smoke alarms with ones made by Aico - then all the connections are within the casing of the unit and accessible...

Hi Jo. Concur with the good advice given. Some of the pics you've posted don't look too good (#2 &26). With the advice given, why don't you come up with a snagging list, and submit them to your electrician, and ask for them to be rectified. If the electrician declines you may be able to take it further, if he/she is registered with a scheme?

The design of smoke alarms (ones I've fitted anyway) are poor for wiring connections, but something better could of been achieved in your case. As per cables in close proximity to non electrical services, achieving separation is often difficult to achieve in a rewire & re-plumbing, as generally not all of the flooring can be removed to ensure all cables/pipes are routed as such and clipped.

Agreed this is rough bit nothing more than a snagging last is required. Easiest thing in the world to sit here and slate people's work. As for the cables over the noggin why would you clip these as they are under the floor and unless you are going to lift every floor board and clip every cable you are wasting your time. The spark was there first so the pipe can't be blamed on him. So we are actually looking at removing some choc blocks not exactly the snagging list from hell

Apologies Jo: Forget what I said said about old cable, just viewed the picture on my daughter's laptop & the cable shows up as Brown / Black as it should do. It's modern 3 core, guess it's time to send this tablet back :(
or a visit to specsavers. ;)

^^ so no part P yet...

As others have commented, you need to draw up a snags list and get them back to review......and agree actions .....

Reply to House Rewiring Compliance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net