Discuss House Rewiring Compliance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Those smoke detectors generally are a poor design, but should fixed into a fast to fix box as previously said with some wagos jointing the cables. Could have atleast put some tape around em

Edit: Also he has not identified the 3 core black and grey as line or neautral

I've always fitted the aicos so have brought the cables into the term blocks but I like that idea of the circular fast fix, you and @Flanders mentioned. Would be an easy fit with the number of refitting holes they put in the bases.

Are the Aicos the ones where it's still tight to get all conductors in the space and the slide the head on?
Yeh but with just the power then link it's not a bother - you do measure the conductors though and the lid is a hinged affair which helps.

Yeh but with just the power then link it's not a bother - you do measure the conductors though and the lid is a hinged affair which helps.

Ahh not the ones I've fitted in the past then which have been a right pain in the arse (think in a blue box?) been a few years. A fast to fix with a couple of stuffing glands in can't be beaten, a few extra minutes for less hassle and a top notch job (unless ins latt&plaster then It's a c**t.)

I use some form of back box with Aico, nightmare to terminate properly otherwise. They've allegedly changed the design, to making the connections more easier!

I use some form of back box with Aico, nightmare to terminate properly otherwise. They've allegedly changed the design, to making the connections more easier!

Why do you need a back box? Bring the cable(s) through the ceiling, connect to visible connectors...... If the cable is a bit long, push a bit back into ceiling void. Simples

Why do you need a back box? Bring the cable(s) through the ceiling, connect to visible connectors...... If the cable is a bit long, push a bit back into ceiling void. Simples

Well, the distance between terminals and base plate is minute, so stripped back cables are exposed behind fitting, however careful you try to be. Back box for me.

I don't think it was cheap - £3500.

Can i also ask about the mains wires touching the central heating pipes - is this ok or should they be clipped away from the pipes or can the pipes have insulation around them? If it is a problem is this something the electrician or central heating installers should do? Many thanks
If the electrician is second in the space he should fix them out of harms way away from the pipes. If the plumbers second in the space he should make sure his pipes don't touch,however he/she is a plumber so not something to rely on. In each case once fitted its not often that either go back to that area so it depends really on the last one fixing something but it is a joint responsibility to keep cable away from hot pipes.

Reply to House Rewiring Compliance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock