Discuss House to Garage Mains supply for pottery kiln in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tomhumf

Hi forum!

I'm not an electrician...I thought this was a good place to get some advice on my situation though.

I've just bought an electric pottery kiln - 230 volts, 26 amps, 5980watts, which I plan to use in a detached garage in our garden -approx 10 metres from closest house wall, and 20 metres from fusebox. Currently there is power going to garage,'installed' by previousowners. It's basically an extension lead from one of the coal shedswhich houses our washing machine - which goes through some conduit inthe garden. This extension lead has a breaker thing attached to theplug.

So I know this kiln can't run off a 13 amp plug...And from what I've read 'extension' leads should not be used with such high powered appliances anyway. So I think I need an electrician to install a wire directly from my main fuse box to the garage which can handle thesupply for the kiln, and also a few 13 amp sockets for other lowpowered stuff, and the lighting.

Could any one advise on which type of wiring I should be requesting? It seems higher amp wires need to be thicker, I guess costing more – are there other considerations? Not sure in underground conduit is ok, or wires hung above ground are a better solution? I would like to future proof a little so if we buy a larger kiln we don't have tostart re-wiring again.

And could anyone give a ballpark figure for installation, so I don't get ripped off? That's all for your time and I will try clarify anything that doesn't make sense...

get an electrician to do some design calcs for it....
he will need to know the Ib, the length of run, the earthing arrangements, whether or not you plan to use more current using equipment in the future in there, the existing supply arrangements.......

It sounds like the existing temporary supply needs removing entirely and a new supply installing from scratch. The cable size does obviously affect the price but maybe not as much as you think. The new supply would require wiring on its own circuit from your CU and there may be alterations or additions to the earthing arrangement required depending on the existing installation.

I doubt you'll get a quote from anyone without seeing the job first, maybe have a look here and find a qualified electrician who's nearby your location and ask him for a quote.

All you can do is get several quotes for the job. As has been said without seeing the job no one could even give you a “ballpark” figure.

If you get a specification for the job ask on here if it appears to be right. Don’t ask about prices it would be unethical for a member of the forum to comment. Again this is down to having not seen the job and not knowing the method required.

When you ask for quotes make sure you are consistent whith what you ask for then get written estimates/quotes and compare them.

This could be notifiable work so ask the people quoting whether they can self certify ...

also to note is your electric bills are going to rocket sky high, they are not cheap to run (depending on your usage) so if its a hobby then factor this into your costing.... you'll be looking at about £0.80per hour which may not seem a lot but it soon adds up with regular use.

As above comments, but in addition, inform your DNO for increase in load. Consider firing up the kiln at night time if cheaper electricity available in your area. Ask your supplier re tariffs.

Hi forum!

I'm not an electrician...I thought this was a good place to get some advice on my situation though.

I've just bought an electric pottery kiln - 230 volts, 26 amps, 5980watts, which I plan to use in a detached garage in our garden -approx 10 metres from closest house wall, and 20 metres from fusebox. Currently there is power going to garage,'installed' by previousowners. It's basically an extension lead from one of the coal shedswhich houses our washing machine - which goes through some conduit inthe garden. This extension lead has a breaker thing attached to theplug.

So I know this kiln can't run off a 13 amp plug...And from what I've read 'extension' leads should not be used with such high powered appliances anyway. So I think I need an electrician to install a wire directly from my main fuse box to the garage which can handle thesupply for the kiln, and also a few 13 amp sockets for other lowpowered stuff, and the lighting.

Could any one advise on which type of wiring I should be requesting? It seems higher amp wires need to be thicker, I guess costing more – are there other considerations? Not sure in underground conduit is ok, or wires hung above ground are a better solution? I would like to future proof a little so if we buy a larger kiln we don't have tostart re-wiring again.

And could anyone give a ballpark figure for installation, so I don't get ripped off? That's all for your time and I will try clarify anything that doesn't make sense...
surprised you got away wih this one for as long as you did fella.....
asking about not getting in a `rip off` electrician.....in an electrician`s forum...

The guy who you think isn't ripping you off probably will be, as down the line things will turn sour as he's probably under specced everything and it'll need doing again.

Every time you go into a pub and spend 3.50 plus on a pint you're getting ripped off

Its Yorkshire though, so probably as tight as a fishes ar se hole!

is thause the pint is under specced, and you've got to have another?at bec

Reply to House to Garage Mains supply for pottery kiln in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net