Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss How a big HRC Fuse is made.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

You aren't likely to see one of these everyday of the week but it is quite an interesting video i just saw, We are childminding tonight and my nephew is on a how its made binge on the youtube app on the tv... Didnt realise they had a firing pin in them mind!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. UKMeterman

UKMeterman Electrician's Arms

These are HV fuses for fitting into 11KV ring main units.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. sparkdog

sparkdog sparkdog Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    C MacRae Electrical
    Be a struggle getting that into a 13A plug.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. freddo

freddo Regular EF Member

I have a similar one of those in my kitchen, it's not fitted with a striker. 63A 12KV. It's much heavier than it looks.
    upload_2017-12-8_0-8-53.jpeg

5. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

All that would take,is a farmer,with a 240V compressor,a tractor with a flat tyre,and one blown standard fuse....and in it would go ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

All that would take,is a farmer,with a 240V compressor,a tractor with a flat tyre,and one blown standard fuse....and in it would go ;)

7. I2C

I2C Electrician

Agree with previous comments, these are for use with HV (High-Voltage).

Why do they contain an explosive-charge?
    Put simply, high-voltages can jump through the air (like a police taser for example) and higher-voltages will jump considerably further than lower-voltages; the result is referred to as an 'arc / arcing'.

The problem is that arcing creates very-high temperatures, especially in the area that the arc starts & finishes, which can easily melt metal (basically how welding works). The heat is therefore perfectly capable of damaging electrical conductors during disconnection, and must be avoided.

With this said, explosive-disconnection-fuses are made for use in HV conductors and designed to detonate a small charge during fault-conditions, causing the conductors to separate very-quickly in order to prevent damaging-arcs.

8. I2C

I2C Electrician

This is a three-phase fuse which is installed on each of the individual phases. It's imperative that all phases simultaneously disconnect, opposed to a singular phase. The "firing-pin" is used to trigger the disconnection of the other phases during a fault to ensure safety.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 1Justin

1Justin Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Circitas Ltd
    Likewise.. And I had no idea they would be wound on a spiral like that either. I can guess that compared to a straight element ( which I'd have expected), the spiral adds length so presumably reduces the relative heat-loss conducted out the ends in the event of a small overload.

10. UKMeterman

UKMeterman Electrician's Arms

Yes the firing pin hits the trip trigger for the contacts in the ring main unit so the other phases are also disconnected.

11. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

It will only be about 25 amp