Discuss How can I make downlighters ‘warmer’ in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

And what happens when they go out for a normal person? Pay a spark to change the whole fitting or change a lamp for 2 quid?

The fittings I use come pre fitted with a plug similar to the cluck flow connector, so the normal person can simply unplug the old fitting and plug in the new

The fittings I use come pre fitted with a plug similar to the cluck flow connector, so the normal person can simply unplug the old fitting and plug in the new
Would you say that is easier or harder than replacing a gu10? And which costs more? And will the fitting be manufactured when it comes to replacing it? I'm afraid I can't be convinced

Would you say that is easier or harder than replacing a gu10? And which costs more? And will the fitting be manufactured when it comes to replacing it? I'm afraid I can't be convinced

Ask the question in ten years time, when the lamp still working.

is this relating to the motorised chicken shed?

Customer never seems to impressed when you tell them the lamps cannot be changed in my experience, feels like a bit of a job creation scheme. We were fitting fully integrated for a while but after a few problems we have shyed away from them.

I have read before though that the LED's they use for GU10's are often the seconds deemed not good enough for the COB LED's. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

In the past the pesky old halogens could replaced with something else, 'cos they only lasted for a very short life span. With LED's, your saddle with something for years. No pleasing some.

That would be amazing if you don’t mind?

Even if I can manage to show my husband what they would look like warmer.... i might have a better chance of convincing him to change them up?!

In some areas they are OK, they are just too bright for me..... maybe iv had dingy lights for too long and grown used to them?!

I am also busy buying lamps and thankfully opted for pendants as well on the landing and living room so can tone those down.

When they are all on and up bright I feel like I’m in the supermarket!!

I will send the address - thanks so much!

You are quite right to not like too much bright lighting.

Lighting in the evening should be warm white (or even yellow-orange biased). That is why you can now get free software for PC screens and Smart Phones that remove the blue content of light at night. Any bright-white or blue light at night (even very little!) stops your pineal gland producing melatonin that night. Melatonin is a critical endogenous (natural in humans, animals and plants) strong anti-cancer agent. Bright white (full spectrum) light in the morning is good as it properly triggers your circadian rhythm and again reduces your risk of developing cancer. 1 in 2 people now develop a cancer during their lives. Bright light at night is undoubtedly one of the driving factors.

I have been known to almost scream when visiting houses where they are brightly floodlit (often with very cool white 6000K light) by multiple downlighters in their kitchen, bathroom and increasingly ogten their living-room / lounge. Quite unecessary and not good for their health. Also usually unpleasant. A similar thing has been happening with street lights and there are now recommendations not to use luminaires above about 4000K.

So, use the bright lights in the morning and during the day (if needed) and use warm-coloured and not-too bright floor and table lamps in the evening at at night. 3500K max colour temperature, preferably lower (say 2800K).

There are masses of scientific and medical documents about this. I am a Trustee of Children with Cancer UK and I spend a lot of time on researching the various causes of cancer.

^^^^^. interested reading, if true. however, natural daylight is 6000K, i can't see any link between that and cancer ( except for the UV end of the spectrum has been proven to cause skin cancer with over-exposure to bright sunlight). as a matter of course, i fit integrated LED units with adjustable colour temp. flick of a dip switch and it changes from 2700K to 4000K to 6000k. also dimmable so customer has options of both colour and light levels

^^^^^. interested reading, if true. however, natural daylight is 6000K, i can't see any link between that and cancer ( except for the UV end of the spectrum has been proven to cause skin cancer with over-exposure to bright sunlight). as a matter of course, i fit integrated LED units with adjustable colour temp. flick of a dip switch and it changes from 2700K to 4000K to 6000k. also dimmable so customer has options of both colour and light levels

Perfect - offers all options! What are your best recommended units?

As an aside, 'colour temperature' is just an overall colour mix value and not an actual colour. We need exposure to full spectrum natural daylight to live long healthy lives, See Wiki for what colour temperature is:
Color temperature - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Perfect - offers all options! What are your best recommended units?

As an aside, 'colour temperature' is just an overall colour mix value and not an actual colour. We need exposure to full spectrum natural daylight to live long healthy lives, See Wiki for what colour temperature is:
Color temperature - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
JCC V50 is one. another is ELD Q2-CT. both come at around £15 inc.Vat.

Reply to How can I make downlighters ‘warmer’ in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock