Discuss How can I tell if my garage is on the same ring main as my house? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

do not bother with earth net over mains extenders there a wast of space
your be lucky to get any where near there stated through port even on the gigabyte ones from one room to next in house let alone
run a cat5eor 6 cable out to the garage

Disagree big time.

Until I connected up all our hard wired connections we had 6 powerline adaptors around the house - they were fine, and for a long time we were streaming BBCiplayer using them.

The limit is normally the ISP's speed and for lots of people they are the only option.

Sure a dedicated outdoor rated CAT cable is best but not everybody has the knowledge to do that either...

were belive you

but is yours the only house with no snow on the roof in the street
Don't live on a Street

I've had some success with the TP-Link Powerline adapters (but also has some failures!)
Separate phases - definitely don't work
Separate circuits - all depends - RCD's, other "noisy" kit, long circuits etc. may not work.
Even had some success using wireless across phases / between halls, then Powerline on a long run in a showground.
The only way is the try it, borrow a pair of adapters if you can before spending your cash.

Ofcom, the communications watchdog, published a consultation on Monday on new regulations that would allow its officials to issue enforcement notices to shut down such networks when the electromagnetic radiation they can emit interferes with radio signals. Those who fail to comply will face criminal prosecution.

An Ofcom spokesperson said: “Ofcom’s proposals are designed to update existing regulations to take account of developments in technology. They are not in response to requests from any organisation.”

As well as interference causing security issues, regulators also want to ensure that police and ambulance, and air traffic control, services are able to communicate clearly. The BBC has previously said DAB radio broadcasts are affected by power line technology.

Its about time OFCOM came clean about digital radio - they are affected by countless different battery chargers AND when you live in a "dip" like we do, the signal is flaky to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with powerline adaptors running through RCDs has been a bit poor (random disconnects). The OP would be running through a RCBO and a RCD so I think it would be unreliable at best.

Well, some feedback.

I decided to take a chance and bought a TP-Link WPA-4220 kit from PC World. I paired the units up in the house and made sure they were connecting properly. Then took the remote unit down to the garage and plugged it in.

The result? A nice strong internet signal where there was none before.
I dare say it may not be running as fast as a cable would, I haven't run a speed test yet, but all I'm going to be wanting down there are web pages and youtube videos showing me how to do things and it's coping with those with no problems at all.

Thanks again for the help. You have a nice friendly forum here :)

...Thousands of homeowners could face prosecution if their broadband persistently interferes with radio signals, under Ofcom proposals published after lobbying by intelligence agency GCHQ.
Ironic because Ofcom do absolutely nothing about radio or other interference that plays hell with broadband signals.

The answer is 42......

Reply to How can I tell if my garage is on the same ring main as my house? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock