Discuss How can people quote so low? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Went to price up a job this morning to install 6 downlights in a dining room.

Nothing too complex, with nice access to the extension roof space via a small access hatch to make the install relatively straightforward. would be able to work directly above the joists and come down through the ceiling.

i quoted what i thought was a good price, given that there is little in way of drilling or effort to run new cables., the guy then tells me my quote of £200 for labour and parts is a little high.

The lights the customer wants are fire rated and come in at £80 or thereabouts for the 6 plus junction boxes, cables etc and making good the hole from the existing light pendant. I quoted for 2 hours labour at £40 for 1st hour 30 for 2nd. factor in parking in the area(residents parking scheme you have to pay for permit from council), diesel and tax, NI, insurances etc.. it doesn't leave much.

He has had a quote off a eastern european spark (apparently fully qualified), who has said he will do it for £140 all in.!! i cant see how the guy is going to make a living... i told the guy that if he wants to pay that then i can't do the job.

Anybody else find they are up against some really crazy quotes that you just can not compete with... it is a complete race to the bottom. There is a bloke round here offering CU changes for £150..!! i am assuming there is no testing no certs.. no comebacks... its become a crazy world.

We have a Chinese "Electrician" down here £50.00 + Cost of CU for a change out, another (Eastern european) is doing Domestic EICR's for £45.00.
Was talking to a commercial butcher a while back, he'd just had his PA testing done £65.00 for 56 items of equipment.

It's getting totally out of hand.

He has had a quote off a eastern european spark (apparently fully qualified), who has said he will do it for £140 all in.!! i cant see how the guy is going to make a living..

Because he's not paying tax, NI, liability insurance, being one of those eastern europeans who stays here for a few months at a time doing this kind of work. Doesn't do any testing and if it goes wrong, he'll disappear.

I would of laughed and said if you want a monkey pay peanuts. Most people just want a bottom dollar service and don't think about the wider picture. When stanvril's poorly terminated downlights go faulty and there's a fire I bet you he doesn't have any insurance.

labour only got so many votes because youngsters voted labour in the mistaken belief that their manifesto would help them ( tuition fees etc.) when jeremy and his cronies promise the earth but have no idea of how to pay for it, and as usual, have no intention of carrying out their election promises. ( remember that blair promised a referendum on the EU but never delivered).

I only quoted what i did as the access hatch meant i could get up in the roof space without any problem. otherwise had it been a normal ceiling with no access i would have quoted £300+
just wait for the call to put it right after the competition has gone back to lala land.

labour only got so many votes because youngsters voted labour in the mistaken belief that their manifesto would help them ( tuition fees etc.) when jeremy and his cronies promise the earth but have no idea of how to pay for it, and as usual, have no intention of carrying out their election promises. ( remember that blair promised a referendum on the EU but never delivered).
If the nutter that is corbyn gets in to no 10 in the next few weeks then my prices will be going up as will all the suppliers prices. as the dopey fool wants to raise corporation tax upto 26%... a 9% rise will have an effect on businesses large and small. try explaining to your customers why everything has gone up and then ask them who they voted for...

There are some proper bandits out there!!. lashing in sh!t on the cheap.

I know its a free market all and all, And I get that to a bit.... but I am a bit tired of the UN-Certified doing illegal job on the Cheap..

I always like to talk quite a bit about the importance of the testing and certification to my customers and the benefits of having a fully insured electrician!...

How on earth.... Who on earth could do a CU change for £ 150o_O, surely that's just labour only Plus materials... whats the cheapest CU out there? about £60 - 70, that's not taking into account any other sundries.
so at £150 - £70 gives you £80 a day, £400 a week and £20K a year. !!!!

No actually I think I've got Now............ he's doing two a day! :smirk:

Reply to How can people quote so low? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock