Discuss how do i know if a socket is on the ring or if its a spur off spur in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikemolo70

i ask this because i want to run a spur off a socket, the socket is a single and it has 6 cables in so i am presuming it is on the ring main but i was wondering if its a spur and another spur has been run off it, it will also have 6 cables in it so how do i tell the difference.

thanks for any advice offered.

Do you have the testing equipment and knowledge to be able to test this alteration to verify safety in accordance with BS7671 once you have completed it ?

i ask this because i want to run a spur off a socket, the socket is a single and it has 6 cables in so i am presuming it is on the ring main but i was wondering if its a spur and another spur has been run off it, it will also have 6 cables in it so how do i tell the difference.

thanks for any advice offered.
Do you mean 6 wires 2 Lives 2 Neutrals and 2 earths?

What size circuit breaker is on the socket circuit you are working on? if it is 16amp or 20amp then you don't have a problem adding to this radial circuit with 2.5mm cable. If it is run from a 32amp you need to do a R1 + R2 test. Best left to an Electrician if unsure and no test equipment!

What size circuit breaker is on the socket circuit you are working on? if it is 16amp or 20amp then you don't have a problem adding to this radial circuit with 2.5mm cable. If it is run from a 32amp you need to do a R1 + R2 test. Best left to an Electrician if unsure and no test equipment!
its a 32amp circuit breaker i won't be touching it until i'm sure anyway i know a little about electrics but not enough to just go adding things without being certain it's going to be safe thanks

its a 32amp circuit breaker i won't be touching it until i'm sure anyway i know a little about electrics but not enough to just go adding things without being certain it's going to be safe thanks
It could just be a down rated RFC with 20 A breaker, a full RFC test is required

OK. Break the circuit at the socket in question. Check for continuity between the two line conductors. If continuity is present, it's likely to be on the ring (could be on a figure of 8 loop). To confirm, remove the line conductors at the board. If this removes continuity at the socket, you've confirmed that the socket is on the ring.

Then do all the usual tests to check the circuit for insulation resistance, Zs, etc.

OK. Break the circuit at the socket in question. Check for continuity between the two line conductors. If continuity is present, it's likely to be on the ring (could be on a figure of 8 loop). To confirm, remove the line conductors at the board. If this removes continuity at the socket, you've confirmed that the socket is on the ring.

Then do all the usual tests to check the circuit for insulation resistance, Zs, etc.
thanks

Not sure I agree with that 100% - I would check the continuity of the CPC and also make a note of the readings of all 3 conductors....

turn off MCB. take one of the L conductors out of the MCB. turn MCB on. stick finger on the end you have took out. if it bites, it's a ring... sssimplesss. :mad:

Reply to how do i know if a socket is on the ring or if its a spur off spur in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net