Discuss How do I work for 6 months with out being able to sign any work off? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jas0n7

Hey guys,

I'm Thinking about going self employed but how do I sign work off for 6 months until i'm able to get nic part-p? Or am I reading this all wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
If your wanting to join a body such as nic elecsa etc, you dont a have to work signing off vairious jobs as you cant ,they only need to see one installation which you would of previously contacted your local counsil and told them about, this could even be your own property.

I thought nic wanted you to be trading for 12 months.
You'd have to pay labc fees . They seem to vary from area to area. My local council charge £243 + notice fee. Crazy money - how will you ever make money !
Elecsa allow you to be a new start up company - I've just passed with them.

Cheers
Jase

Heres my deal.

Ive been Employed for 13 years now as a Jib approved Electrician (17th + 2391). Do all kinds of work for my company for little money and no respect. But recently I've been offered by a friend all of their electrical work they get. They are a letting agency letting houses and flats. So testing, remedials, call outs evetything that that could include id get all that work... Great, but they want Nic forms sending back to the office each time... Ah...

how do I go from where i am to where I need to be?

Thanks for the advice chaps

Heres my deal.

Ive been Employed for 13 years now as a Jib approved Electrician (17th + 2391). Do all kinds of work for my company for little money and no respect. But recently I've been offered by a friend all of their electrical work they get. They are a letting agency letting houses and flats. So testing, remedials, call outs evetything that that could include id get all that work... Great, but they want Nic forms sending back to the office each time... Ah...

how do I go from where i am to where I need to be?

Thanks for the advice chaps

if your wanting to enrol on a scheme whilst working just book a day off work for the assessment. that way if you want to you can be in a scheme and work while you build your buissness up if thats what your after

I am in the same situation. I am trying to start up my own business as well. Wanted to go with NICEIC because they are the best known, but yes - you must be trading for at least six months!! So how can I trade and make money if I need to notify every work myself???? crazy...

I am in the same situation. I am trying to start up my own business as well. Wanted to go with NICEIC because they are the best known, but yes - you must be trading for at least six months!! So how can I trade and make money if I need to notify every work myself???? crazy...

Join ELECSA, NAPIT and if you find that if you sell to people that as far as Part P are concerend they are the same a NICEIC then you will find that the majority of times people accpet this.

If you still have problems then after your initial year you can then join NICEIC, but you may be quite suprised that it is just becasue people have not heard of NAPIT, or ELECSA, but once you point them out and what they do they are happy to accept them.

One more thing: With NICEIC you could be on the NICEIC Aprroved Contractor scheme which allows you to do both domestic and commercial work.

With ELECSA you can only do part P or domestic work? Or you can do everything else as well?

for commercial and industrial work, part pee does not apply. so you enrol with elecsa or napit just for domestic.

That is why I highlighted in my OP that as far as Part P is concerned all the schemes are very much the same. As there is no legislation for doing commercial/industrial as there is with domestic you don't have to be with any scheme. As long as your insured to work on commercial/industrial which is basically covering you for 3 phase work which normal domestic insurance won't then you can go for the work.

Unfortunately a lot of the larger companies will insist on you being a member of NICEIC, so will a lot of insurance work and/or letting agents work also need this. But there are a vast majority of smaller commercial/industrial units who will not insist on NICEIC registration.

Reply to How do I work for 6 months with out being able to sign any work off? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net