Discuss How do people compete with numpties quoting blind... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been to do some quotes this week, One is a partial rewire and Cu change. The other wiring up a garage with the usual sockets, lights etc.
On both jobs 'electricians' have quoted blind and given a price over the phone with no visit or pre work testing...
One job the customer has gone with the blind quote as I couldn't compete with the £250 price to run swa out of the house to garage, then install CU with internal sockets x 6, 2 led battens, and an external lights fed from garage.
The other I have quoted for but somebody quoted nearly a third less than me and I even if they pay no tax, ni etc I cant for live of me see how they are making a living after materials... they must be on less than minimum wage..
Makes you wonder if once they have started they suck their teeth and due to foreseen issues raise the price and pressure the customer??

The garage install - closer to £500 minimum if you ask me, if not a bit more...
Well I came in at £450 on condition the customers teenage son dug the small trench to bury the swa... they seemed to like the idea of him getting off his backside playing xbox and doing some proper work!
Then get told after I emailed them that they are using the cheap quote!

Dear Mr/Mrs customer,
No professional electrician can give an accurate quote over the phone as the existing equipment needs to checked for suitability and safety, as well as the job to be undertaken properly assessed. If someone is quoting blind and they are cheaper than me, it is very likely that extra costs will mount up from the quoted price, and their attitude towards the safety of your installation may be a tad cavalier.
I'll leave you to consider my quotation.

Well I came in at £450 on condition the customers teenage son dug the small trench to bury the swa... they seemed to like the idea of him getting off his backside playing xbox and doing some proper work!
Then get told after I emailed them that they are using the cheap quote!
small trench? how small?

My crystal ball sees a thread starting shortly from an end user in Somerset complaining about a a dodgy garage installation, paid cash, no certs, no part P, ............. and the spark not answering calls..
Well it wont be my work they are complaining about!
small trench? how small?
Small in this case means approx 3.5 nearly 4 metres from house wall to garage and i told them it would need to be approximately 50cm as the ground between house and garage is used for parking the range rover on and not being concrete etc does appear to get churned up a bit when wet and saturated.

You said it twice hands trembling, so she knows the true price of every tool that you paid for ;o))))
No because I'm the sort of person who will own up to minor indiscretions in life which have no meaning whatsoever, in the general scheme of thing.
I take it this is what you are getting at? if it's something else then please expand, quite what I have said to my Wife has little or nothing to do with what I said about the correct procedure for digging a trench for installing an underground cables, may be a good idea to rephrase your comment. You may say I am being over senistive, but I happen to think what I say on this Forum, and what this has to do with my relationship with my wife, has nothing to do with you or this Forum.
What I have mentioned about buying tools etc, have been 50 50% in jest.

Reply to How do people compete with numpties quoting blind... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net