Discuss How do you deal with dangerous installations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just wondering what course of action you take if you go to a job, say to wire an additional circuit, and you find a dangerous situation. Over the years I came across several cases where, for example the cu cover was missing, usually the old Wylex units. Some people left a danger notice, on the basis it was no more dangerous when they left, personally I removed the main fuse, sealed up left a danger notice and told the consumer to contact us when it was rectified. I always said if I left it and someone was electrocuted or burnt I didn't think saying it was like that before would be a good defence!

I was working for a dno, so the work usually involved re-energising the installation after for example a fault, it work on the cut out or meter, so a bit different I suppose.

First of all I would give you a -------ing for carrying out diy work without proper competence or testing and creating a dangerous situation.
Then I would agree with you the action required to make the situation safe and carry it out. If you refused the work I could do no more than issue a danger notice and shake my head as I walked away.

I would do the work that I had quoted for and then just as I was leaving I would mention that they had some other life threatening electrical problems that needed sorting and I could quote for that as well if needed. :D

I have issued a few danger notices. In one case I isolated the supply and in another did a temporary fix pending repairs. It all depends on the situation really. While it may not be exactly ok to isolate legally it could be argued there are some situations that it would be even more illegal not to isolate. This is where judgement comes in of course.

I explain to the client what I've found, why it's a danger, what the implications are and what's required to rectify it including an idea of costs. If at all possible I will isolate the supply to the effected circuit(s). If they won't let me do that or rectify the problem, then I issue a Dangerous Situation Report and get them to sign it (the NAPIT ones are multi part and a copy is left with them). I inform them that their building insurance is also now likely no longer valid. I will not do the work I'm there for until it has been rectified as I believe that if something happened afterwards and I as a professional had worked on the installation regardless, I'm sure I would have some liability.

In domestic Usually I isolate (but don’t lock off) and issue an Electrical Danger Notification once they’ve signed it and I’m gone If they turn it back on it’s not my problem they now know the risks and that they need to get it sorted it’s up to them if they do or not.....
if it’s commercial I ask if I can isolate and if not state on the EDN customer refused to isolate get them to sign it. Again up to them if they sort it or not....

Reply to How do you deal with dangerous installations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock