Discuss How do you guys cost your jobs? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Even for domestic?
Typical pricing for me in domestic work in Bath is £40 first hour £30 subsequent hours for small straight forward jobs.
Charge higher for out of hours call outs and weekends. If the job is larger then I will give a day rate for the job, the rate varying depending on nature of job. if its chasing, drilling and physical work then a bit more. If its just changing a couple dozen accessories in a house then a lower day rate.

I charge electricians out at £35 per hour or £350 per day.

I look to make a 100% mark up on my guys.

10% only on materials which is pretty standard in the non-domestic setting.

An ideal for me is a 20% profit on a job once everything is paid.

I use KashFlow, which is nice for quoting, invoicing etc. Looked at Xero but not really looked at Quick Books. I've only been Self Employed since May last year, before that I was always on the cards, so this is a good learning curve for me, and your advice and knowledge is much appreciated. At the moment my O/H vary from £400 to £900pm because I've had van signage, clothing etc. I think once that all settles down I'll have a better understanding of my monthly O/H's.

Your first year will always have high costs due to the things you have identified.

For the last 6 years my annual overheads have been around £6 k per year. I have been SE for 8 years, the first 2 years were higher...

You need to do a business plan which identifies what your monthly costs are such a fuel, the the annual costs such as insurances, mot, servicing, scheme fees, calibration etc and know when they fall....

This way you will know what your fixed annual costs are and what your variable annual costs are ....

I plan to buy new tools in months when high fixed costs fall ...

I use Quick Books, so at the end of every month I can see to the penny how much profit I've made, and precisely what my overheads were .....

BUT as we all know overheads vary per month so budgeting and having spare cash in your business account is very important.

Thanks for this I have now changed from Kashflow to QuickBooks, its a lot better.

Reply to How do you guys cost your jobs? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net