Discuss How do you guys do angles in trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Angle gauge, steel rule, saw, file, knife. Apply tools to trunking in the manner prescribed by the art and craft, and a perfect joint results. There's no magic shortcut - electrical installation work is a craft and it requires skill and practice. A joiner can make joints in wood of arbitrary angles that fit together exactly and look smart; an electrician should be able to do the same with electrical materials. Unfotunately, the very kind of work that uses PVC mini trunking is not the kind to draw the attention of the most skilled craftsmen, so one doesn't see precision work in mini around the place.

Wind back the clock 100 years and you would see electricians making complex joints in wooden casing with flyovers, double mitres etc. That wasn't something you could learn from a book, and was nigh impossible for the DIYer. When I look back at my first few years' steel trunking work it's got some rough edges (not literally!). It has taken 20 years to get good at it and now I don't do much on the tools and avoid first fix like the plague, I'm losing it again for want of practice.

If it's any consolation, when my mentor asked me to tube up an area in 20mm BE steel con while he was in hospital, with funny angles in roof trusses, he made sure there was just enough tube. I made so many misbends that I secretly bought another bundle of conduit and cut up and took away most of the errors!
An old guy once told me that the first electricians were joiners

This thread reminds me of the idiots that can't use a bending spring on pvc conduit and instead insert short lengths of flexible conduit when there is a bend.

If the OP is still following this post, b and q have a good clearance sale on at the moment and they have a good saw - it might be poor for wood, but will do trunking and conduit with ease and be good for getting nice angles, its only a tenner as well with free click and collect

mitre saw.JPG

I must say the lack of professionalism in approaching one of the premium wiring methods involving mini trunking has left me aghast at how standards have fallen. I always take my laser cutter on such jobs to ensure that while no-one gives a flying, I can walk away with my head held high.
Mantech Machinery - Desktop Laser Engraver and Laser Cutter - http://www.mantechmachinery.co.uk/laser-cutting-machines/desktop-laser-engraver-and-laser-cutter
Cheap skate, I use a 3D modelling laser to make an image of the room, I then transfer it to my CNC program and create a detailed form, I then use my CNC Plasma cutter to cut the trunking,

Swifty CNC - https://swiftycnc.co.uk/shop/packages/package-2?gclid=CjwKCAjwypjVBRANEiwAJAxlImt2tXkSEkpubYsjQqg1ya6gGkRNmCcG3XX9o2FAFXOnXSDzMMXG7xoC_oQQAvD_BwE

if there is still a gap I just use mastic and move the furniture around to hide the detailed workmanship.

Reply to How do you guys do angles in trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net