Discuss How easy / costly to move one of these? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pic is just an example my Mrs has provided. Going to have a look on Monday. Believe it may be supplying about 11 houses.

Do you think I could chop down the poles, use a few wagos and bury it deeper than 500mm according to Part P they'd notice?

Last edited:
The picture is an example not the actual one.

It belongs to Scottish and Southern Electric. We think it sits on the land thanks to a weyleave agreement and research shows that the electric companies can move them for a price but I would like to hear from people who have dealt with similar to know how easy it is and how costly. Even if it was just a case of repositioning to the edge of the plot. Appreciate there's a lot of what ifs.

Last edited:
My uncle had a large ground mounted transformer moved about 200m away from the house and changed to something like in the picture at the far end of the garden, the cost was about £25,000.

My uncle had a large ground mounted transformer moved about 200m away from the house and changed to something like in the picture at the far end of the garden, the cost was about £25,000.
How long ago.

what you need is a couple of beavers. you can't be sued for the damage as long as they have not been microchipped with your details

It will need a secure plot of land nearby.
A new ground mounted transformer
An enclosure.
Diversion / jointing of the incomer and outgoing if they are both underground.
A temporary Generator to maintain supplies to other households whilst the changeover is done.
If either cables are overhead, re-routing, if possible of the overheads.

It involves other households, so the disruption potential is high.

They'll probably give an estimate subject to survey, which you may have to pay for.
The survey / planning will take weeks.
Once the order is placed it will be at least 3 months before the work is done.

By the time the work is done you'll have go used to it being there and wonder why you'd paid out so much money to have it moved.

I would say it'll cost around £100,000, minimum.

But there's only 1 company that can tell you.

Last edited:
One way of possibly reducing the cost is to get the pole tested first. If it is condemmed then part of the cost will fall under maintenance.
The usual test is to hit the pole with a hammer. If it resonates then it is good to climb, if you get a dull thud then this is an indication of rot and will be referred on to see if replacement is required

Reply to How easy / costly to move one of these? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock