Discuss How far away would you make Next Inspection? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

keith42

Hello everyone, just wondering what period you would allow to Next Inspection on the installation Certificate, in a case where you've fitted a new CU and recommended that a new earth rod is fitted + earth bond to an oil tank? Thanks.

Its down to you!

Only you know the "state" of the installation.

Could be anything between 1 year and 10 years.

Its down to you!

Only you know the "state" of the installation.

Could be anything between 1 year and 10 years.

Well in the case where everything is okay, it's a new CU that's tested fine, but those items need doing.

When does an electrical installation condition report need to be carried out?

It is recommended that an electrical installation condition report is carried out at the following times:

for tenanted properties, every 5 years or at each change of occupancy, whichever is sooner. At least every 10 years for an owner-occupied home and at least every 5 years for a business

A new earth rod and oil tank bond.

Oh right sorry misread your thread, should you not have bonded the oil tank and fitted a new rod at the time of the CU change, it seems an important thing to just recommend.

Oh right sorry misread your thread, should you not have bonded the oil tank and fitted a new rod at the time of the CU change, it seems an important thing to just recommend.

Looks like you may have left yourself open to some criticism by not doing these jobs at the time you changed the CU as Murdoch mentioned

Hello everyone, just wondering what period you would allow to Next Inspection on the installation Certificate, in a case where you've fitted a new CU and recommended that a new earth rod is fitted + earth bond to an oil tank? Thanks.

My guess is that you have either C1 or C2 (or both) coded this job. so you could give it the maximum recommended time as per the table in GN3, but consider your test results when making that decision. The EICR is worthless whatever you put on it, because it says, i/we recommend that this installation is re inspected in however many months or years subject to the items requiring remedial action are sorted out, or words to that effect. I can't be bothered to dig GN3 out, so have a look on the EICR form for exact wording.

Cheers............Howard

Ignore the last crap, i have just re read your post. The earthing arrangement and bonding should have been sorted BEFORE you put the new CU in.

Cheers...............Howard

Ignore the last crap, i have just re read your post. The earthing arrangement and bonding should have been sorted BEFORE you put the new CU in.

Cheers...............Howard
I think this should agreed with the client to be included as part of the CU change, then situations like this would be avoided.

whats wrong with the current rod? and the earth bond to the oil tank should be mandated at the time of the CU change

The job was just to replace the old CU. The existing earth was to Neutral, it's there but high resistance. The oil tank/boiler went in in 2004/5.

So should it not have been certificated, strictly speaking? Or is it okay with an early Next Inspection?

I am the customer, btw.

The job was just to replace the old CU. The existing earth was to Neutral, it's there but high resistance. The oil tank/boiler went in in 2004/5.

So should it not have been certificated, strictly speaking? Or is it okay with an early Next Inspection?

I am the customer, btw.
By that do you mean it was/is a TN-C-S system? If the impedance is out of range it should be notified to the DNO as it is their responsibility to maintain any earthing facility they supplu
Any CU change involves testing the circuits fed from it and certifying the work carried out.
I find your last sentence very worrying.

I am the customer, btw.
Which country do you live in? what paperwork has the spark given you? and have you paid the spark?

By that do you mean it was/is a TN-C-S system? If the impedance is out of range it should be notified to the DNO as it is their responsibility to maintain any earthing facility they supplu
Any CU change involves testing the circuits fed from it and certifying the work carried out.
I find your last sentence very worrying.
Apparently we're a long way from the transformer. Why are you worried? :) I called in a professional, he changed the CU, tested everything, and gave me that advice. I just wanted to understand why he only gave 6 months to the next inspection, because some tensions arose afterwards. But maybe this is why, as I half suspected, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't vindictive.

Which country do you live in? what paperwork has the spark given you? and have you paid the spark?
I'm in the UK. He's given me a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate, and yes I've paid him.

Apparently we're a long way from the transformer. Why are you worried? :) I called in a professional, he changed the CU, tested everything, and gave me that advice. I just wanted to understand why he only gave 6 months to the next inspection, because some tensions arose afterwards. But maybe this is why, as I half suspected, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't vindictive.
I'm worried because of your posts mate, it sounds as if someone has not done their job properly. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I'd have included bonding of the tank and installing the earth rod in the price if it was my professional opinion that they were needed. We could then have decided between ourselves whether you wanted them. Had you refused the additional work I'd have walked away.
Did he give you a certificate for the new CU?
There could be any number of reasons why he's stipulated a 6 month retest period, is there any chance you could post up a copy of the installation certificate and any EICR he carried out beforehand?

I doubt very much that your Electrician is being vindictive, a little inexperienced maybe, but that is an assumption as I/we don't know him/her, so thats only my opinion

Reply to How far away would you make Next Inspection? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock