Currently reading:
How how to bond existing in ground pool?

Discuss How how to bond existing in ground pool? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SteB88

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post for me, a very frustrated DIYer whos leaving in a country (Czech Republic) where its near impossible to find an English speaking electrician who knows what they are talking about.

My issue is that the company who installed our vinyl pool a few years back clearly didn't do something correctly with the electrics and the result is that you can get a little shock when touching the pool water and the surrounding deck at the same time. We have already paid for three different 'professionals' to take a look, but all claim it makes no sense.

I've spent hours researching and believe that this is due to equipotential bonding, or lack there of. I'm 100% sure the rebar around the pool was never bonded to any of the other pool equipment.

Firstly, looking for some professional opinions if that makes sense?

Second, looking for some clarification on how to best go about resolving. Important to note, i do not want to do this myself, but after past experience i want to understand it so as to be sure its done properly.

The setup:
In ground pool with a light fixture.
Service pit with all of the equipment is 70cm from the pool
Heat pump is 4m from the pool and obviously connect to the service pit.

What i know is that the heat pump, water pump, and even the water pipes (some lug in them) all have earth wires leading back to the main fuse board. This fuse board leads to another in the garage which finally leads to the main board in the house and all are certified as up to standard.

My idea, and its just an idea, was to chip away the concrete at the four corners to the pool to expose the rebar. No idea then if that can then just run to the heat pump, which is easily accessible, or if it needs to go back to the service pit (headache).

Appreciate you taking the time to read, and even more so for any advice you may have.

Regards,
Steve

P.S If there is an electrician from Czech Republic who's reading and knows what they are talking about, you can have the job :)

Can you post some photos of how this was done?

Can you clarify if the bonding wire is attached to the rebar, or to the supply CPC (or both)?

Are there any other earth wires/rods other than bonding to the pool's structure?

I cant locate the photo's atm, (had some trouble with my phone so its in 'the cloud' somewhere), but as I said, I exposed a section of the rebar every 2 feet and used these DEHN clips to attach. 6mm rebar against a 10mm earth. DEHNclip Rebar Clamp | DEHN - https://www.dehn-international.com/store/p/en-DE/F1202001/dehnclip-rebar-clamp

The bonding wire was clips to the rebar, then ran into the pool housing and connected to the earthing bar (where all the other earthing cable are) in the fuse box.

There is nothing else connected directly to the pool structure, although the pool company did install and earth probe directly into one of the water pipes. This was the first thing done to try and solve the issue.

Reply to How how to bond existing in ground pool? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back