Discuss How it used to be done! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a relay from a Grinder/Lathe which is 80+ yrs old, still operating as good as the day it was made.
Note the glass enveloped mercury switching contacts.
PS the lamp at the bottom is just a spare for use elsewhere on the machine.

How it used to be done! 20171026_124112_001 - EletriciansForums.net

I also have, "somewhere" again a small glass bottle with a cork in it filled with oil which came with Allen West starters to fill the overload pots. Later ones came with oil in sachets.

I got a lot of mercury glass envelopes from stripping out old fire alarm systems, it was a very common method across the board but most melenials will probably never come across them now.

Been the science geek I am I have seen that vid' a few times, just to add the use of mercury was banned in many countries, the EU starting imposing bans in about 2009 and is linked to the fact it is a neurotoxin, the liquid blobs out of equipment like above still should be handled with caution as they can and do react with skin even if your not aware, it can be disposed of through the correct channels safely.
The issue with mercury poisoning is its mostly from other sources not yet effected by the ban and gets into the food chain, typically fish, one of the biggest polluters of mercury in the world is burning coal as this releases it into the atmosphere that eventually gets into the water system and the food chain.... treat it with a lot of respect :)

Last edited:
The fact I still have my mercury tilt switch is probably to do with the vision of arriving at the recycling centre and getting treated like a leper! Until then it’ll remain in my safe place and come out for sporadic handling!

Been the science geek I am I have seen that vid' a few times, just to add the use of mercury was banned in many countries, the EU starting imposing bans in about 2009 and is linked to the fact it is a neurotoxin, the liquid blobs out of equipment like above still should be handled with caution as they can and do react with skin even if your not aware, it can be disposed of through the correct channels safely.
The issue with mercury poisoning is its mostly from other sources not yet effected by the ban and gets into the food chain, typically fish, one of the biggest polluters of mercury in the world is burning coal as this releases it into the atmosphere that eventually gets into the water system and the food chain.... treat it with a lot of respect :)
well, i don'teat fish, so that's no bother to me.

Strange how that line from my parents , Fish is a brain food ...
Now Neurotoxin ...
Was it mostly the tinned -oily stuff ?
I enjoy the odd bit of fish , but only go wild when get near the coast!
( Imagine cost of cleaning up Coal/Coke cannot of helped Brit-Steel)

It really only effects certain kind of sea life, quick growing short lived fish don't tend to show any real build up but the long lived choices can contribute to mercury poisoning which is accumulative in the body and can do a lot of damage, shell fish and certain breeds of fish were tested to contain dangerous levels of mercury, if regularly consumed.. it's effects are nasty in deed and often irreversible, there are several forms of mercury thus the detrimental effects vary and how we come into contact with it, it's in the air, in our foods and in our old electronics, not a lot you can do except avoid the known issues...

Tuna, being a predatory fish and top of the ocean food chain is said to contain the most mercury because of the accumulation up the chain - darn shame as mixed with mayo on a crispy baked potato, I’d say it was worth the risk!

Found something worst than Skipjack , apparently Lobster .
But if not constantly exposed we do shift some !
( More of a problem for fishermen -living from fish , when at sea)
Tuna & Mayo Sarnies . (No earthy skins for me)

Yes, best to stay away from bottom feeders (fish, crustaceans and human kind) - even the Bible says that in Leviticus 11:12 about the ones in the sea anyway. Food for thought or not, in this case!

It really only effects certain kind of sea life, quick growing short lived fish don't tend to show any real build up but the long lived choices can contribute to mercury poisoning which is accumulative in the body and can do a lot of damage, shell fish and certain breeds of fish were tested to contain dangerous levels of mercury, if regularly consumed.. it's effects are nasty in deed and often irreversible, there are several forms of mercury thus the detrimental effects vary and how we come into contact with it, it's in the air, in our foods and in our old electronics, not a lot you can do except avoid the known issues...

It's called bioaccumulation DW. Tends to get worse the higher up the food chain you go. A big fish eats 50 small fish and gets too keep the toxins of its prey. Accumulating it as you say.

Cool video by the way RPA.

Tuna, being a predatory fish and top of the ocean food chain is said to contain the most mercury because of the accumulation up the chain - darn shame as mixed with mayo on a crispy baked potato, I’d say it was worth the risk!
anyone who puts donkey snot (mayo) on food, or eats fish, deserves all the ills that come with this so called healthy eating. there's no mercury in a rare sirloin steak and chips with fried onions and mushrooms, complimented, of course, with real ale.

anyone who puts donkey snot (mayo) on food, or eats fish, deserves all the ills that come with this so called healthy eating. there's no mercury in a rare sirloin steak and chips with fried onions and mushrooms, complimented, of course, with real ale.
You have steroids in steak, how large are your Moobs?

toothpaste isnt meant to be ingested as fluoride calcifies bones and its like nuclear decay in reverse, it can only be added to.

doesnt stop us swishing it round our eating hole though :D

Reply to How it used to be done! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock