Discuss How long to second fix a socket? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

iconnect

I am pricing a massive rewire and the easiest way is to break it down so I have allowed 20 mins to second fix a socket or switch do you think that is fair? I have never priced a domestic as big as this only ever commerical!! I am finding it wierd lol

I would tend to be less generous and allow 15 minutes per item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

some of the apprentices have what they call the radio song rule, one socket or light switch per song or the gaffers on their back. :) guess thats about 3 and a half minutes for them then without upsetting the boss

3 sockets in an hour is abit slow ? only have 1 arm? hehe
but imo i would give yourself 5 mins per socket being generous.

I know it sounds a lot I can do one in no time but you have to factor not all sockets are next to each other and allow for picking the ends up and moving to the next one !! I have had this conversation with people before when I used to price jobs people would say that only takes 2 mins but when you ask them to complete it they very rarely come up with the goods maybe 10 mins would be better on reflection !!

some of the apprentices have what they call the radio song rule, one socket or light switch per song or the gaffers on their back. :) guess thats about 3 and a half minutes for them then without upsetting the boss

I thought my old firm was the only one who did this, ha ha

Good method I think

It must be a big house with the sockets well spaced out if it takes around 8 mins to pick up some ends and walk to the next socket

Ha Ha but serious its massive lol I love how all us sparks have balls the size of mellons I wish we could all meet up and have a race and see the quality of these 2 min second fix sockets lol

1 hour per room max as an average. I go round and prep all the cables at each outlet first, then go round again and fix the accessories, and leave them loose till testing is out of the way. I tie a carrier bag to myself to put all the crap in as i go.

When I used to work for a council we used to book work in as minutes. We were given 6minutes for a socket, 3 for each gang of a switch and 21 minutes for a FCU (don't ask why).

When I priced work privately I just be realistic and understand that there are too many variables and so estimate time according to the room when it comes to second fixing, not each point.

Wander round with a cardboard box, cutters, long nose pliers and stripers,prepare all cables and tidy as you go, then go back and fit all the sockets.

Widdler I am the same but for some strange reason this job I have gone at it different :confused: I have started something here :D I would say I am quick not as quick as I used to be. I am also know that the sum of the parts does not always add up hence you allow longer than it would take. I have seen sparks tell me how they are going to do this and do that and at the end of the day they have not finished and stand there wondering where the day has gone

Reply to How long to second fix a socket? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock