Discuss How many computers to 1 30ma rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

None I would remove the RCD and use a MCB, however if an engineer told me I had to keep the silly thing I would have no more than 4 max on it, if a printer on the circuit then 3 and not 4.

If they are insistent on rcd protection then fit rcd sockets rather than an rcd or rcbo at the db. The earth leakage from 4,5,6 computers depending on efficiency and age can trip them very easily

Once had to fit a dedicated RFC for computers in a school. Told the guy who designed it that he was being silly putting it on an RCD and was overruled. What the hell did I know, Just a bloody sparky were pretty much his exact words.
When the RCD wouldn't hold I didn't laugh (much)

If you MUST use an RCBO or RCD use at a minimum a type A or preferably a type B.

Rcbo is an rcd just with built in overload protection so basically an mcb and an rcd rolled into one so it will be rated at a certain mA as well.

If they are insistent on rcd protection then fit rcd sockets rather than an rcd or rcbo at the db. The earth leakage from 4,5,6 computers depending on efficiency and age can trip them very easily

And if the final circuits didn't meet with the 50mm buried depth rule?? If were talking about a shed load of computer work stations over several circuits, fitting RCD sockets is going to bump the cost of the installation way up there. Personally i use the rule of 5 computer orientated loads eg, PC, Printer, Scanner etc (or 3 X double sockets).. per 30mA protected circuit. Can't say i've ever had any nuisance tripping problems to date....

Instructed to put computer sockets on rcd,32amp,30ma,we usually put 7 twins on ring,using 2 terminal earth's connections,no problems whatsoever .Its a college & installed this method in all IT rooms ,cheers

Instructed to put computer sockets on rcd,32amp,30ma,we usually put 7 twins on ring,using 2 terminal earth's connections,no problems whatsoever .Its a college & installed this method in all IT rooms ,cheers

I assume you mean 32A RCBO's and not one 30mA RCD looking after several ring circuits feeding IT equipments?? We use 16A radial circuits for computer workstations with a ringed or if you like an additional CPC....

All such IT installations should be wired using the high integrity earthing arrangements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How many computers to 1 30ma rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net