Discuss How many devices are safe per socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gt74

Guys - I've joined a company this week as an IT manager/ PBX techie. The Company is growing quickly and are installing some new servers.

I have only 4 sockets in the patch room forcing me to run 4 socket extension blocks.

I'm worried about how much power I'm drawing. Typically 600-800W power supplies on servers and a server plus associated devices per extension block.

I'm going to ask for more sockets but in the meantime is this safe?

How can I mitigate/reduce risk.

All thoughts welcome from the experts.

Many Thanks

Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I wouldn't run a server from an extension block at all. I would have had dedicated sockets fitted for them, if you blew a fuse on one block this could potentially take out 2 or 3 servers. I assume you have some sort of redundancy power supply in them, we usually have the redundancy plugged into a different circuit as a fail safe, via a large UPS.

Hope this helps.

from what you say, each PSU takes approx. 3A so you should be OK with , say, 3 on an extn. lead, but only temp. additional socket outlets are the way forward.

If you have NOT yet blown a safety cut out, then you are probably good to go.
Just the number of devices is NOT a good indicator of load.
You have to look at load and duty cycle
Duty cycle makes a HUGE differance.

Guys - I've joined a company this week as an IT manager/ PBX techie. The Company is growing quickly and are installing some new servers.

I have only 4 sockets in the patch room forcing me to run 4 socket extension blocks.

I'm worried about how much power I'm drawing. Typically 600-800W power supplies on servers and a server plus associated devices per extension block.

Many Thanks

Guy
Use fused extension blocks

Many Thanks

Guy
Use fused extension leads
[automerge]1572764084[/automerge]

Many Thanks

Guy
Use fused extension blocks, sorry already posted that. my bad

Do you think he should use fuses extension blocks, Pete? Just a thought....

OP, I’d definitely consider having more sockets fitted. Even on new dedicated circuits if you can.
The load seems ok on extensions, but physically you’re giving more connections that can fail, trailing leads that can be tripped over, and if there’s a problem, you can turn off one and keep all the others running.

9 years - that's the oldest thread I've ever seen resurrected!!

Reply to How many devices are safe per socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock