Discuss How many smoke alarms are required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a friend who is having trouble with her local council. Long story.
Although she rents it out privately, the council seems to have got involved through an allegation that the property was being used (unknown to her) as an HMO.
Anyway, it's now back as a private rental and run correctly.
My question is;
How many smoke alarms are required for this two bedroom flat?
I'm not sure on the current regs re this but the council seem to think that hard-wired alarms are required in both bedrooms as well as the hallway.
Is this correct?
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gerry.

Done loads of Detector installs for local authorities, both houses and flats. Never had to put smokes in bedrooms ever. Always smokes in all circulation spaces, heat detector in kitchen & carbon monoxide detector in all rooms with Solid fuel or Gas appliances installed.

You would have thought that the DCLG would come up with 1 set of rules that ALL the UK could then adhere to...................... but they don't so almost very Council has their take on such matters................... and dare I say it, a bit like the cladding fiasco.

Regardless of any regulations it makes sense to have safety devices like smoke alarms hard wired, and have back up batteries in them. From experience we all know what happens to battery only ones.

Reply to How many smoke alarms are required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock