Discuss How many years of trading to become a Domestic Installer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

that's on 1 night a week. full time it's 8 hours.

Personally I think it is purely down to the individual.

I have taken on apprentices in the past who are at various stages of their apprenticeship and the the ones who are further along in their course are by no means necessarily further along in terms of their knowledge or abilities on the tools. I've worked with fast track "Domestic installers" who have been fine on the job. They have taken the academic side of the course very seriously, where these courses fall down is in the very limited practical experience that they provide.

As for the question, how long before they become registered? When they have gained the qualifications required. After all, they do need to pass an on site assessment do they not?

Hi,

How long should a self-employed person or a company be trading before registering to become a Domestic Installer?

Thanks

You can register whenever you see fit, but you must let Her Majesties finest at the revenue and customs know that you are self employed within 3 months, cos if you dont and they find out you wont like it very much.

Cheers........Howard

When someone does NICEIC’s Domestic Installer course the candidates were issued an application pack to apply to become a “Domestic Installer” without the need for previous trading experience. But the following tells otherwise and it’s a bit contradicting.

Application for Registration asks “How long have you been trading?” ……….Years ……….Months

On the Guide to Registration - Domestic Installer Scheme (Information Sheet 2), the following is given:

Other requirements for registration:

• Be directly engaged in domestic electrical installation work and have experience of completing this type of work for 12 months.
  • Make available for inspection sufficient completed electrical installation work across the range normally undertaken. The work must have been carried out during the previous 12 months.
Though you are involved in this kind of work for a couple of years, it’s pointless to go trading (and pay the tax man) if you can’t issue out certificates as you are not part of any scheme. But if you are not a registered trade for more than 12 months, you can’t join the scheme; it’s bit confusing and looks like a “Catch 22” situation.

My situation is, I have the required qualifications and was involved in this kind of work for the last couple of years on a voluntary basis, hoping to make it my moonlighting job one day. So what do I put down for “How long have you been trading?” Just for the sake of filling in the form, if I put down as 2 years & 3 months, then I have to answer the Taxman.

Cheers!

When you start up a new business, how ever long that has been trading for is how long you have been trading.

The schemes take into consideration how long you have had you qualifications and what you have been doing with yourself? Your time starts with the schemes when you sign up and use your qualifying jobs as proof your competant!!!

As others have said you can't really do a job "on a voluntary Basis". the tax man will love you!!!!

Reply to How many years of trading to become a Domestic Installer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock