Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss How old is this overcurrent protective device please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

Never seen one of these before but I'm sure plenty of you guys have. Please could someone be kind enough to tell me more about it:thumbsup

Would this be part of the distributors equipment or the consumers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Many Thanks in advance

2. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

As its on the consumers side of the meter its your customers responsibilty. Age , guess at 60s maybe early 70s but thats a guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

Having a tired moment;)

This will need upgrading then as it would appear the 16mm twin and earth supplying the consumer unit upstairs is buried in the wall and I cannot see any evidence of mechanical protection.

4. TaffyDuck

Well an upgrade yes. Depends on the max demand in the flat but you could consider putting the supply cable on a MCB.

5. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Looks all OK to me, 16mm T&E with a OCPD next to the DNO equipment which in turns looks like it feeds a DB in the 2nd floor flat.

6. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

It’s in the realm of the consumer.

It’s a 60 year old Bill 60A switch fuse. Despite what it looks like you will probably find the fuse isn’t a re-wireable but a TIA60A to BS88

• Like Like x 2
  7. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

1 x Socket radial supplying fridge and washing machine, 1 x lighting radial and 1 x ring final circuit.

My coffee cup is larger than the kettle currently in there lol.

8. TaffyDuck

I`d put it on an B63, would cover it by the sounds

9. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Why should it be changed for a MCB? Surely if it did need changing looking at the installation method it would need RCD protection if it did.

The OP hasn't asked about a replacement just who owns it.

10. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

These were the top makers of isolators and switchfuses The name Bill would go hand in hand with industrial and domestic equipment
    They were fitted quite often with seperate units for sub main or power or lighting with usually one or two ways

Removing the cover to get at the fuse holder was often the case,there is an interlock mechanism to prevent them being opened live
    Switching them on when they were open required that little bar to be depressed

The ones used on industrial sites were more usuially hinged at the top with the isolator handle on the side and with 2 thimbscrew retainers with the same feature of interlock,I believe they have been merged with mem

• Like Like x 3
  11. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Des, are you a member of the Old Farts club?

12. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Bill/MEM have been merged a good while. Come under Eaton these days.

13. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

I am not an old fart,Old farts are grumpy and forget things [​IMG]

Now come to think of it, I have just remembered that I was an old fart :mad2:
    [​IMG]

14. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

The last time I saw one of those being fitted was July 30th 1966, it was World cup final morning and the sparks were rushing to get finished so they could watch the match.

• Like Like x 2
  15. High Tower

High Tower Trusted Advisor

Bill switch gear used to be on Aston road, perry Barr, Birmingham, used to go past it a couple of times a week

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.