Discuss How time change xzxzxzxzxzxzxzx in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

All I can think of is Mr Chumley Warner...

Good to see the electrician took the feed to the light switch, and not the light; just in case they wanted to fit one of those WiFi dimmers. Wonder if that was the bloke last weekend, asking how to change his pendant, he seemed pretty clued up. :)

I'm assuming those were well engineered,
British " built to last " switches back then ....
unlike modern shower isolator pull switches !
(The furry stuff in the fuse holder -asbestos )
Yep

I wish I spoke like that! I do have one of those toasters though...
How time change xzxzxzxzxzxzxzx 20180130_180734 - EletriciansForums.net How time change xzxzxzxzxzxzxzx 20180130_180905 - EletriciansForums.net
Makes great toast in less than half the time my useless modern one does, and this one only does one side at a time. Its voltage rating is 200V though. The element was open when I got it 4 years ago but a bit of wire to hold the broken ends together did the job, the repair hasn't failed yet!

I wish I spoke like that! I do have one of those toasters though...
View attachment 40533 View attachment 40534
Makes great toast in less than half the time my useless modern one does, and this one only does one side at a time. Its voltage rating is 200V though. The element was open when I got it 4 years ago but a bit of wire to hold the broken ends together did the job, the repair hasn't failed yet!
Wow! Great toaster!......oh, just noticed, who has foolishly tiled around the socket and FCU?? o_O

Not me! Was the previous owners, that was one of the least terrible things they did to the house.

I was wrong about the rating too it is 220-230V 600W. It broke down earlier as well, I must have spoken too soon! The fault was the fuse clip attached to the live pin had detached. Of course the plug is a crappy Hong Kong thing unlike the British made toaster. The fuse is a little on the small size too.
How time change xzxzxzxzxzxzxzx 20180201_202803 - EletriciansForums.net
I have now fitted a proper British MK plug to it. I've left the 5a fuse that came with the plug in there, but the little fuse rating indicator has only 3, 7, and 13A positions, so it will have to be indicating wrong.
How time change xzxzxzxzxzxzxzx 20180201_202059 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Shame the flex isn’t old red, black, green cores.

Fuses needed in the neutrals, but not in the plugs, what could go wrong?

What indeed? Looks correct to me. The board was put in before the regs first stated that the supppliers' neutral could be relied upon to be earthed, (11th ed. rev. 1943?) so it was important to fuse the neutral to protect it against a short to earth. I think it was reasonably well understood that the circuit might still be live, even if not working, until the main switch (always DP) was turned off.

No fuses needed in the plugs, just as they are not in 95% of the rest of the world today, because the circuit fuse was rated to protect the appliance flex too. Fused plugs are only needed so that we can use small appliances on 32A circuits.

FWIW the lighting fuse box is a 'Prento', made by HB Prentice of Leeds.

Reply to How time change xzxzxzxzxzxzxzx in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock