Discuss how to become a domestic installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Obviously I wouldn't issue any card myself, but the training companies need to give them something at the end of 5 weeks.
Yeah a T-shirt with the logo I am not an electrician.

There is already a suitable card for 'DIs'; it's got 'Ancillary Operative' printed on it.

The sites in question could do their bit by insisting on seeing an ECS card at induction - anyone who turns up with a Micky Mouse card gets sent packing and the agency don't get paid. Things will soon change then.

At my local college the first thing they would do is break you down and let you know who was there to learn and who knew what they were talking about; the fly by night training centres seem to do the opposite and spend the duration of the course pandering to the 'customer' with the aim of having them walking out of the training centre feeling they successfully managed to buy their way around the system.
There's no problem with having semi-skilled operatives having a go under supervision - that's how you learn; the problems come about when semi-skilled operatives insist they don't need supervision.

I have long thought that if my legs and various old injuries stop me from working then i would set up one of these training centres... the profit margins are quite impressive and if you cant beat them join them! think about it every week say 6 people coming through the door paying say £3k for the courses that can be done in 18 days..- 6 new starters each week. that is £72k just from the DI courses to join a scheme... then you can throw bricklaying, plastering, kitchen fitting or the new favourite "handyman course packages" in.. as the leaflet stated ... you can register with mybuilder, rated people and other sites and start working on completion earning £20+ per hour... i know this as a friend of mines son got the course paid for as part of his community mental health support from social services and the like to help him get back on his feet after a hard period in his life... he now has work as a labourer for a maintenance firm and seems to be doing alright for himself.
I reckon there are plenty of older and retired tradespeople out there willing to work in a nice warehouse showing people how to pass a course....
I saw recently that Tradeskills4u have opened a place in Leeds now.. they must be raking it in... There seem to be more and more of these places popping up so the demand is there...

I have long thought that if my legs and various old injuries stop me from working then i would set up one of these training centres... the profit margins are quite impressive and if you cant beat them join them! think about it every week say 6 people coming through the door paying say £3k for the courses that can be done in 18 days..- 6 new starters each week. that is £72k just from the DI courses to join a scheme... then you can throw bricklaying, plastering, kitchen fitting or the new favourite "handyman course packages" in.. as the leaflet stated ... you can register with mybuilder, rated people and other sites and start working on completion earning £20+ per hour... i know this as a friend of mines son got the course paid for as part of his community mental health support from social services and the like to help him get back on his feet after a hard period in his life... he now has work as a labourer for a maintenance firm and seems to be doing alright for himself.
I reckon there are plenty of older and retired tradespeople out there willing to work in a nice warehouse showing people how to pass a course....
I saw recently that Tradeskills4u have opened a place in Leeds now.. they must be raking it in... There seem to be more and more of these places popping up so the demand is there...

If you could get the businesses / trades to come to your training centre when they need workers like agencies do, you could then do the NVQ3 side also

Got to say I had to do short courses I have 4 kids working long shifts and am now working as an improver having to take the hit in money im on alot less then an electricians mate. £8.67 an hour. I have learned alot more being on site being with a more experienced spark. Honesty I don't rate the courses I have the paperwork and certification upto 2394/2395. Those courses are just a big money maker if I could I would go back and start from school but I didn't. When I was taking my test and inspection exams I was unemployed and volunteered to work for loads of companies for free to learn as much as possible. Testing in a house full of stuff is completely different to testing in a test center. Good luck to which ever way you need to learn and earn a living but don't rush through the experiences.

less then an electricians mate. £8.67 an hour.

that's taking the pi$$. traineee rate is £12+.

But I had no experience and practical knowledge. I have been with the company for a year now. I have come on loads as an electrician. I've done loads of periodic inspections and remedial works working with some great people and also some old timers who just let me test and sit around having an easy day. My advice is if you do the short courses start at the bottom don't go in to companies saying your a qualified spark you will get found out. my plan is to learn as much as possible from this company. Don't make money the most important thing in the early days. I've been told it will come and the better I am the easier money will come.

Sadly, I'm going to have to do one of these courses. Busted my --- trying to get an apprenticeship but to no avail. Only option I have left really is a domestic installer course and combine it with an electrics course at college.

Good luck but try every company in your area after you have some qualifications I've been given a pay rise and now on £11.67 an hour and doing own jobs but I'm no where near ready to run my own business or go it alone. Just keep trying to learn offer to help a spark on your day's off for free I did this for a bit and if you do all right they might put some cash in your back pocket. The course I did was 0% interest on the learning loan think I paid £140 upfront and the rest paid monthly. You can do all the way to am2 with some courses which I regret not doing as now it's very hard for me to go further without costing me a fortune.

Reply to how to become a domestic installer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock