Discuss How to certify a lighting spur off a socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just finished a small job replacing a bathroom light and adding an extractor fan.

Since it is a very old installation there was no earth to the lighting circuit.

Part of the job was to remove a fan heater that had been supplied by a socket radial.

To overcome the lack of earth situation I've added a switched spur to the end of the socket radial circuit which now supplies the new lights and fan.

So this circuit now has an earth and is RCD protected.

My question is how to I fill in some of the details on the cert? For example, cable sizing is 1.5mm for the lights but 2.5mm for radial, I'm unsure which figure to put in??

Everything is zoned correctly and more than enough tests have been done etc...

Suppose there would be harm in providing one each, but the only difference would be the cable size & ocpd. The tests (& results)however, would be for the complete circuit.

Cancel that, just re-read your op. I'd just do the one for the new work, the radial is existing.

and full marks to OP for doing it that way some cowboys would have insisted in a lighting rewire.
Agreed, nice to see someone thinking, being conscientious about safety and looking at cost effective best working practice.
To the OP, tel is correct but there is nothing stopping you doing an EICR for the whole circuit if you feel its required. More info is always better (helps out the person following up in the future) and always note down worst case scenario. Potential faults will not discriminate the will often find the weakest link. ;)

Reply to How to certify a lighting spur off a socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net