Discuss How to Convert GU10 to pendant? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We need to convert our GU10 spotlights into pendants but was hoping to do this without having to rewire the system. I know the US has a convert plug for this but nothing in the UK.

Been in a busy restaurant we don’t have much time to do this as currently we are going through changes that means the owner doesn’t want to close for the work and apparently doesn’t want work to be carried out during open times lol.

I believe we have 10 GU10 spotlights in the ceiling.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

if its small spotlights recessed in the ceiling then the circular backbox would do the trick, only issue is ensuring they line up if you have to alter the holes. am unsure if you want to swap multiple spotlights for multiple pendants or for just a single pendant?

If you're very lucky - they are a bit smaller if I recall correctly (65mm cut out (?)). But worth a look as I think the pendant base screws line up :) .

Had it the other week where a client wanted to swap 2 x existing downlights for pendants over an island, the Marshall Tufflex circular dry lining box fitted perfectly in a 76mm cut out which was a pleasant surprise! Like you say the screws (M4's) matched up as well!

Never come across a round dry lining box that fits a 76mm hole.

If it's the older type of downlight that has the springs to hold the lamp in place the cut out it usually 64mm and a round dry lining box will fit perfectly.
*Disclaimer* That will depend if the hole was cut with a hole saw at the time and not a pad/jab saw.

Reply to How to Convert GU10 to pendant? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net